• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Old town discovery 119?

Reaction score
What are you guys's thoughts? I would like to get one for solo day and traditional overnight trips. My only worries are, is it tippy?

thanks, Alex

Well Alex, Is it tippy? Yep! Is it manageable? I'd think so if your willing to (once it warms up) play about in it and find where that point of "whoops! that was too far!" is. Seriously, for me at least, playing in the canoe in shallow water has always been informative if a little damp. And a great confidence builder. Of course always wear your PFD.

Now, looking at the pictures of it: looks to have no carrying thwart, not good at all. One seat, can you kneel comfortably against it? I can't imagine paddling that in any other position other than kneeling.

You talk about overnight trips, don't know where you are but surely you have some camping gear along? Is there room enough for you and your gear?
Here's a generality and certainly open for argument but: most of us start out with a 15-16 foot canoe. A craft about that size seems to work for all kinds of folks, in all kind of situations. Before I'd go bigger or smaller I'd want to have bunches of experience and a darn good reason to make the change.

Say...you started that thread about axes and we've had buckets of fun with it, Thanks!

Best Wishes, Rob

Bought one a year ago and was not impressed by it, Seats r bad. Tippy is not the word for it, I used mine for fishing and most of the time it did not suit me. I changed out the seat, moved it forward, helped but I sold it and bought something better that I liked

It's a slow fat short boat that you steer from so far aft that good control is not possible. Its meant to be a fishing platform or something to doodle around (which is sometimes nice) for afternoon outings. For a trip.. not so much unless its all river tripping and you don't pack too much. You will need to put most of your kit up front. You can get a removable portage yoke or make one so that is not the issue..

Steering from so far back is the same as steering a shopping cart backwards in the grocery store. Try it. You probably won't knock over all the canned goods but you may come quite close.

Keep your head within the rails as the waves rock your boat, and no boat is really tippy. This requires loose hips. Tight hips and loose lips sink ships.

In the pantheon of solo boats the 119 is one of the worst. It's designed to stack for shipping, not paddling. It's very heavy and the seat is misplaced. Lots of better boats can be had at the same price used; a much better place to start.

Back