• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Off to The Bay....James Bay

Reaction score
I'm heading North tomorrow to the Nettogami River, I'll be joined by my regular partner and two refugees from the lower 48. Put-In on Saturday morning.

The trip starts on Upper Kesagami Lake north east of Cochrane, 4 or 5 days downstream we will cross Kesagami Lake, portage over to the Nettogami, down the Nettogami to the Kiasko River, then the Nort French River and then the final day on the Moose River ending at Moosonee.

For those who wish to follow along you can view my tracker here:

https://share.garmin.com/grumpy

You can also see the complete route here:

https://caltopo.com/m/TD903

Note that only the major rapids/falls are marked, plenty of other smaller rapids along the way.

Looks like trip finished today as satellite tracking shows arrival at Moose Factory. Camp sites for the last 2 days should be interesting as they were in real boggy country. Now for the trip report.
G.

Watched it yesterday (got link off of CCR). Nice vid. You guys carried lots of gear\food and yet seemed to stay pretty dry in your solo boats.
I may be wrong, but from the footage it seemed to me the Keno may be better suited to solos than tandems. Any thoughts?
Thanks for sharing.
G.

Yes the upper Kesagami and the swamp drag into the Nettogami are not friendly to big tandems but some people need giant coolers filled with dry ice so that their cocktails will still have ice cubes on day 12!

Some of the rapids on the Nettogami are narrow and rocky, those big tandems are not the best option for that either. On the other hand there are only a few portages and they are all quite short.

Oh, stop kvetching. Those cold cocktails were fabulous on day 12! (which was really day 14 or 15 for the ice, if we count departure from Maine and when we loaded the coolers) If others imbibed more (or at all) they would be more appreciative.

I think the big tandems with giant coolers performed just fine, Gerald. If the water levels were lower, there would have been more getting hung up in the rocks, but that has as much to do with picking the right line as the length of the boat. I don't think the small boats carried considerably less weight - other than the coolers - their paddlers were just crammed in like sardines. Funny that the two Canadians on the trip paddled small American canoes, and the two Americans paddled bigger Canadian canoes...

Grass is always greener...? It's certainly lighter weight . . .

Back