• Happy Midnight Ride of Paul Revere (1775)! ⛪🕯️🕛🏇🏼

No Snow, @#$%^&*!

And you moved to Anchorage??????

It ain't Juneau, plus I had to earn a living. The first twenty years were good, the last ten not so much. When I used to ski from early October to May I didn't mind when we had our typical January thaw that lasted a few days. Now above freezing temps happen throughout the winter.

I may be 15 degrees or so of latitude north from you, but my snowshoes are also languishing in the shed. I'm sick of this mid-Atlantic weather. There's nothing more disgusting than rain in January.

Well, I was in Maryland before I moved to Florida so I only got limited use from them even then, but it was a treat when we got 8-12" or more of snow, The year before I move there was snow in the woods all winter. Most of the time it wasn't anywhere near deep enough to require snowshoes.

It ain't Juneau, plus I had to earn a living. The first twenty years were good, the last ten not so much. When I used to ski from early October to May I didn't mind when we had our typical January thaw that lasted a few days. Now above freezing temps happen throughout the winter.
My Valdez friend said it was raining there a few days ago. We didn't get rain in Glennallen, but we did get occasional thaws. I'd have to walk to the outhouse in rubber boots (for the melted snow) and shoe chains (for the ice below the melted snow). Of course the weather would change to 25 below the next day!

A bit of snow falling and the temperature is dropping, I’m almost done with one mitt I’m making for my self....

Attachments

• photo18389.jpg
    photo18389.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 0
  • photo18390.jpg
    photo18390.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo18391.jpg
    photo18391.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo18392.jpg
    photo18392.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 0
Finished my sleigh, 8 feet long by 2 feet wide, 20 inches high, pulls really well, should be able to take everything needed to keep my wife happy for an overnight winter campout. Hopefully find out next weekend.
0wZCqM3.jpg

Finished my sleigh, 8 feet long by 2 feet wide, 20 inches high, pulls really well, should be able to take everything needed to keep my wife happy for an overnight winter campout. Hopefully find out next weekend.
0wZCqM3.jpg

What did you use on the bottom of the runners? And how do you keep it from tipping over on rough ground? ( load distribution?)

0wZCqM3.jpg

If they ever make a Canadian version of Weekend at Bernies that sled would be perfect for hauling him around.

Alan

Memaquay has the right idea. Plenty of room for real food and a canvas tent with a stove.

For the back country a small plastic sled works well. I used to like x-c skis and my dog pulling the sled. I don't winter camp much these days except at low elevations. The memories of skiing in the moonlight with no tracks around except for those made by fur bearers are etched in my heart. Then sitting in front of a Whelen lean to with a fire. Watching the snow roll in at 0300. There are some great things about the winter. You only have to get a couple of miles off of a road to experience the quiet.

When I worked on the pig farm, I took a welding course at night with a community college. I found out that I really sucked at welding. I have a friend in town who is a great welder though, and he made that hitch up for me in no time. I tried to get the sleight to tip over yesterday, but it stayed upright, much like a tank. I'll probably have a couple of hundred pounds loaded into it, no need for lightweight camping. My wife does not like going fast on the skidoo either, so we will probably be travelling at about 20 to 40 k an hour tops.

Think I'll take the next couple of months off work and get back out into the bush more.

The memories of skiing in the moonlight with no tracks around except for those made by fur bearers are etched in my heart. Then sitting in front of a Whelen lean to with a fire. Watching the snow roll in at 0300. There are some great things about the winter. You only have to get a couple of miles off of a road to experience the quiet.
That made me think of my many night time trail runs in the Maryland woods. I loved the snow even though we didn't get all that much. Most of the time I just ran with running shoes since the snow wasn't often deep enough to require snowshoes. I love the quiet and the ability to see at night even by starlight. We don't get that here in Tallahassee :)

All of the men in my family can weld and all have college degrees. My uncle was a retired metal sculptor and college art instructor. I learned to weld first at the Univ of Maryland in the agricultural engineering school. I was in class with a bunch of farmers. My brother does all kinds of metal work, some large scale facades on buildings and fancy fences and gates. My Dad is really good at it.

I grew up in Maryland but the family was from Washington state, so I graduated college and headed West 50 years ago. I have fond memories of snow camping in the WA Cascades 15 feet above the ground. The transitional snow was a challenge. In Colorado and Wyoming it was much colder, but the snow quality was perfect.

Here in Nevada the prediction is for 4-6 feet in the Sierra in the next week. Finally.

They are calling for 71 F and rain here tomorrow, 74 F and rain here Wednesday. They backed off from an earlier prediction of 80 F for tomorrow.

I discovered several CC ski trails in the state forest nearby, and the golf course gave me permission to use snowshoe there. I'm hoping for some serious snow and a little warmer weather (-10F this morning). I have to train Bogan to stay in the trail I cut. He gets worn out too quick.

The Big One hit last night in the Sierra Nevada. The latest prediction is 5-8 feet of snow above 7,000 feet with 100 mile an hour winds on the ridges.
Two to four feet at Lake Tahoe. Blizzard warning for 48 hours with no travel.

Snow total for Mammoth Mountain in last two days is 107 inches, almost 9 feet. More storms lined up next week.
Today I got stuck in my own driveway.

Last edited:
The Big One hit last night in the Sierra Nevada. The latest prediction is 5-8 feet of snow above 7,000 feet with 100 mile an hour winds on the ridges.
Two to four feet at Lake Tahoe. Blizzard warning for 48 hours with no travel.

Yeah, my cousin in the White Mountains of Arizona said they got 33 inches!

Back