• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

NFTC Canoe Outfitters?

Reaction score
I am tentatively planning a 5-day trip along the NFTC next spring (or fall). I am not too set on any particular stretch(es) of the NFTC, but I prefer wilderness over more urban sections. Since I live on the west coast, I am looking to rent all the gear for the trip. Can anyone here recommend a canoe outfitter? I am looking for something along the lines of Algonquin Outfitters or Piragis or...etc. in other well known canoe areas. Any input is much appreciated!

St Regis Canoe Outfitters in Saranac Lake, NY might be what you are looking for, or for a more remote section of the trail try Northern Waters Outfitters in Errol, NH.

Dagger, if you are interested in the section in the Central Adirondacks, Racquette River Outfitters is located in Tupper Lake. Rob or Ann will take good care of you.

While St. Regis Canoe Outfitters in Saranac and Raquette River Outfitters in Tupper Lake are both good choices they are not really located in what I'd consider wilderness areas. I'd suggest contacting the NFCT directly and if possible speaking to Stewardship Director Noah Pollock at noah@northernforestcanoetrail.org or 802-496-2285×2 or Karrie Thomas Phone: 802-496-2285, ext. 1
Email: karrie@northernforestcanoetrail.org

About half of the NFCT is located in Maine where it is wilderness. There are some road crossings. I can't think of any shuttles except for the Allagash. Pelletiers Campground does that shuttle
Five days and wilderness and shuttle are three parameters that do not work well together.

The Allagash itself requires at least a week to fully partake. Five days would be from Churchill Dam to Allagash or Dickey. The shuttle itself takes a day and is about 120 miles. There are no paved roads in Northern Maine near canoe routes .

Allagash Gateway Campground does shuttles to Lobster Lake and thence down the West Branch of the Penobscot and then Chesuncook Lake. You could also go to Chamberlain via Mud Pond Carry. Allagash Gateway may be able to pick you up at Chamberlain Bridge. This can be a rough trip with portages. Lobster is a gem. West Branch is moose country. Chesuncook can be a witch. You could also do Allagash Lake to Chamberlain bridge with Allagash Gateway. It is a five day trip. One day is a must spent poking in the woods at the old locomotives on Eagle Lake. Gives you a bit of history! It is more wildernessy than the mainline of the ADK route out of Old Forge though that is nice too. It was very nice some 60 years ago....now it is too built up for me. OTOH the Allagash has gone the other way.. It used to have more settlements.. now none. Chesuncook is a village of some few souls. accessible by some two hours of logging roads.

Last edited:
Yellowcanoe. I was thinking about the Moose River Bow loop. Since it starts and ends in the same location, but you are more familiar with Maine so might know other alternatives to offer him. https://www.jackmanmaine.org/maine-canoe-trips.php

Yah the Moose River Bow loop is nice but It is only a three day two night trip. Perhaps add on going down the Moose River through Long and Brassua and arrange for a pickup at Rockwood.

While St. Regis Canoe Outfitters in Saranac and Raquette River Outfitters in Tupper Lake are both good choices they are not really located in what I'd consider wilderness areas. I'd suggest contacting the NFCT directly and if possible speaking to Stewardship Director Noah Pollock at noah@northernforestcanoetrail.org or 802-496-2285×2 or Karrie Thomas Phone: 802-496-2285, ext. 1
Email: karrie@northernforestcanoetrail.org

Waterspyder, I respectfully disagree...both outfitters are located near what most would consider to be wilderness areas in the northeast: the William C. Whitney Wilderness Area (particularly beyond Rock Pond), Five Ponds Wilderness Area (especially above High Falls), and the sections of Racquette River that border the High Peaks Wilderness (especially up Cold River). Just this past weekend I was up in the back ponds of St. Regis Canoe Area and didn't see anyone for 4 days.

Also of importance.. Flights.. I assume you are not driving. Will you need delivery service? Albany is reasonably close to the paddling region of the Daks and you also can get flights into Saranac Lake via Cape Air which only flies there from Boston. Considering Maine the nearest airport is several hours from good wilderness canoeing and over dirt roads which some rental companies will not allow you to use. The ADK area has way more pavement.

Coming cross country is a little more complicated when you can't throw your boat on the roof and go. At least I am assuming that.

Yup. Good assumptions, Yellowcanoe. I'll be flying in and was thinking Albany or Syracuse as a starting point. A friend lives near Philadelphia, so flying into Philly and driving from there might be an option. Probably second choice though. Interesting (and very helpful) observation about dirt roads and rental car companies. A lot to consider here. I don't see why not any beautiful, wilderness like 4-5 day paddle could do, but I somehow have it in my head to do part of the NFCT.

So let me refine my initial question to: Does anyone know of a easy, paved road accessible, full service canoe trip outfitter, that is no more than 2 hours away from a convenient medium sized airport and located in or very near a stunningly beautiful NFTC wilderness area? :)

Bonus features offered by the outfitter:
- Shuttle services
- No mosquito guarantee*
- Great paddling weather guarantee*

*I know...

Last edited:
Norther waters outfitters in Errol, NH is 2 & 1/4 hrs from Portland Me airport, no dirt roads, they rent, shuttle, motel and are on the NFCT at the Androscoggin River. They have a decent website. Not sure about the mosquito or weather guarantee.
That’s a pretty wild area from what I have seen and read.

You guys are amazing. I can imagine some mission impossible stuff, and somehow some one here will know how, when, or where I can find what I thought did not exist. That means one of two things. Either you guys are truly experienced canoe trippers, or my imagination is not that great. I bet it is the former ;)
Cheers!

Yup. Good assumptions, Yellowcanoe. I'll be flying in and was thinking Albany or Syracuse as a starting point. A friend lives near Philadelphia, so flying into Philly and driving from there might be an option. Probably second choice though. Interesting (and very helpful) observation about dirt roads and rental car companies. A lot to consider here. I don't see why not any beautiful, wilderness like 4-5 day paddle could do, but I somehow have it in my head to do part of the NFCT.

So let me refine my initial question to: Does anyone know of a easy, paved road accessible, full service canoe trip outfitter, that is no more than 2 hours away from a convenient medium sized airport and located in or very near a stunningly beautiful NFTC wilderness area? :)

Bonus features offered by the outfitter:
- Shuttle services
- No mosquito guarantee*
- Great paddling weather guarantee*

*I know...

Me. I live an hour north of PWM (Portland) and can dump you on the NFCT at Errol.. Or retreive you.. I have done the Androscoggin stretch that Robin mentions but it is very near a road . We do the Source to Sea Trek every July on the Androscoggin Rive as a series of day trips. We start at Umbagog and work down to the ocean There are two campgrounds between Errol and Berlin and then a series of paper mill dams with portages. Not quite wilderness. Very nice yes.. Going out of Errol take Umbagog to Richardson to Mooselookmeguntic and Rangeley. Hilly region.

I bet that between all of us in Maine we can retreive you from the airport get you a suitable boat. Drag you to get your camping grub in a store and pick you up.

Syracuse is not close to good ADK wilderness paddling. Albany is better. I lived in Syracuse some years and bemoaned the four hour drive to get somewhere by Tupper Lake.

For full service (with multiple airline choices), the closest you can get to the Adirondacks is to fly to either Albany (on the southeastern side) or Syracuse (West/southwestern side).

While there are wilderness canoe areas of the Adirondacks, the part that includes the NFCT from Old Forge to Saranac Lake is not what I would call wilderness, but rather has many houses and power boats. It's good enough for me and there are more wildernessy side trips nearby, but I'm not sure I'd travel cross country for that. I'd likelier go to the closer and more remote areas of the BWCA in Minnesota or, if having whitewater skills, to northern California, Oregon or Washington.

While there are wilderness canoe areas of the Adirondacks, the part that includes the NFCT from Old Forge to Saranac Lake is not what I would call wilderness, but rather has many houses and power boats. It's good enough for me and there are more wildernessy side trips nearby, but I'm not sure I'd travel cross country for that. I'd likelier go to the closer and more remote areas of the BWCA in Minnesota or, if having whitewater skills, to northern California, Oregon or Washington.

I would agree. Now living on a cottagey campy housy lake here I am disappointed in the initial sections of the Trail starting in Old Forge. Perspectives are not absolute and one persons wilderness is not necessarily anothers.. But at one time Old Forge area thrilled me some 60 years ago.

There is great wilderness paddling in the Daks like the Whitney Loop but it is not on the trail per se.. It does not miss by much. And its close to a livery and a loop.

Back