• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

New guy from Arkansas

Reaction score
Hello all,
I am a solo paddler from Arkansas. I have paddled open boats since I was in Junior High School, so roughly 35 years.
I am a firefighter and operate a technical rescue instruction company. We teach wilderness SAR, rope rescue and swift water rescue to emergency responders.
My wife and I enjoy fly fishing, hiking and hanging out with our pups. Our son is in the military and our daughter in law works for a non-profit.
I am the SAR Coordinator for Franklin Co and a member of the Arkansas Canoe Club, American Canoe Association and American Whitewater.
All good here in our little piece of the world. I hope it is in your’s as well.

Attachments

• 5348ABF9-EC7E-4CBA-9C85-8E3B9CEE34B5.jpeg
    5348ABF9-EC7E-4CBA-9C85-8E3B9CEE34B5.jpeg
    129.6 KB · Views: 10
Welcome to site membership, SoloBoater!

Feel free to ask any questions on this site, and to post messages, photos and videos in any of the relevant forums. We look forward to your contributions.

SoloBoater, I live near Springfield Missouri, so not too far from your location. My first canoe was a Whitsell Descender similar to the one in your photo.

What is your primary interest in canoeing, is it boat building, paddling flat water, paddling white water, canoe camping or something else?

30 years after selling the Descender I retired and bought a lightweight canoe to use for remote canoe camping. I enjoy backpacking but found that canoe camping enhanced the experience. traveling is easier, the views are better and I always have access to water.

Welcome, John

SoloBoater, I live near Springfield Missouri, so not too far from your location. My first canoe was a Whitsell Descender similar to the one in your photo.

What is your primary interest in canoeing, is it boat building, paddling flat water, paddling white water, canoe camping or something else?

30 years after selling the Descender I retired and bought a lightweight canoe to use for remote canoe camping. I enjoy backpacking but found that canoe camping enhanced the experience. traveling is easier, the views are better and I always have access to water.

Welcome, John
I also enjoy canoe tripping. It’s day due to already having all of the lightweight camping gear used for hiking trips. However, I haven’t done very many trips. We are planning on a cool Buffalo river wilderness area trip later this year. Should be about a week on the river.

I many run whitewater and then use a different boat for lake paddling. Basically, I just really enjoy being on the water and the feeling of achieving the perfect (yet rare) paddle stroke. I get a lot of healing done when I’m in my boats.

Welcome, John
I also enjoy canoe tripping. It’s easy to accomplish due to already having all of the lightweight camping gear used for hiking trips. However, I haven’t done very many trips. We are planning on a cool Buffalo river wilderness area trip later this year. Should be about a week on the river.

I many run whitewater and then use a different boat for lake paddling. Basically, I just really enjoy being on the water and the feeling of achieving the perfect (yet rare) paddle stroke. I get a lot of healing done when I’m in my boats.

Back