• Happy National Zipper Day (pat. 1913)! 🤐

New Brunswick Ancient Portage Trail: Cains-Gaspereau Rivers

Reaction score
Hi All,

My pal Matt recently completed a trip over the Cains-Gaspereau Ancient Portage trail in central New Brunswick. This trail was historically used to connect two of the provinces major watersheds, the St. John (Wolastoq) River and the Miramichi River(s). The trail is ~8.5km in length and it connects the Cains (Miramichi) and Gaspereau (St. John) Rivers. Our provincial paddling organization -- Canoe Kayak New Brunswick - has been working with a local expert -- Mr. Robert Doyle -- to restore a series of Ancient Portage trails around the province, and this in one of them! This trip is a really cool opportunity to connect with the historical side of paddling in New Brunswick.

Matt was able to complete a short paddle on the Cains, carry over the 8.5km portage, and complete a ~25km paddle on the Gaspereau River to his take out in 1-day. It is a challenging day trip, but totally do-able. It might even make a fun weekend trip!

In any event the full trip report is available at the following link, check it out!! maritimeoutofdoors.com/2019/08/09/cains-gasp-portage/

Enjoy!!

-Grant

Thanks, I enjoyed that. I'm across the St Croix over in Maine, but it's a similar story. The ancient routes are generally known, but they're seldom travelled. It's great that your organization is working to keep them open.

Back