• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Need help with a repair...

Reaction score
central NYS - 10 miles from the Baseball Hall of F
Long story short, the end of a 2x4 made contact with the foam core on the bottom of my old We-No-Nah "Sundowner" and has left a divot. I have the ability to cut out the broken kevlar and fill in the divot with foam. What I don't have is some fiberglass or kevlar to cover the patch; which is why I'm posting this request.

If anyone has a couple of pieces of either fabric so I can cover the repair, I'd appreciate it. I don't mind paying for the materials or shipping. Just let me know what you need and I'll be happy to take care of it. I'd go to a local marine shop but our area no longer has any. For that reason, I figured this would be the best group of people to approach. Thanks, in advance, for any help you can give me.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Snapper, I have an assortment of materials I could send you. In kevlar all I have is that thick stuff. I have plenty of Dynel and some FG. Would be happy to send it on to you if you think either would work. Just let me know how much! BTW, I do have your mailing address from the T-Shirt thing so I could shoot some your way ASAP.

dougd

Snapper, I have every dang kind of cloth, and various release treated peel ply fabrics. heck, I send Doug some of his stuff. (Doug, the 6” wide peel ply tape came in; expect a late birthday gift in the mail)

Long story short, the end of a 2x4 made contact with the foam core on the bottom of my old We-No-Nah "Sundowner" and has left a divot. I have the ability to cut out the broken kevlar and fill in the divot with foam.

I’m not sure what you mean by “divot” and filling it with “foam”. Photos of the damage would help.

FWIW I have various weight S-glass, selvage edge E-glass tape from 1” wide to 3” wide, Twaron (kevlar) tape , Dynel fabric, Dynel sleeve, carbon fiber and yaddayaddayadda for the cost of a postage stamp.

And kevlar felt. Lots of kevlar felt. Anyone want any? Yes? What the heck is wrong with you?

If the best course of action is to fill the “divot” with thickened epoxy before laying on a patch I could easily include a Zip-lock of West 406 Colloidal Silica or 403 Microfibers. Or graphite powder (which will make a black divot fill).

The Canoe Tripping private-message system doesn’t like me. Try my last name + paddler, all one lower case word, plus the usual G-mail suffix.

Seriously, for an errant 2x4 bing everything you need fabric-wise would fit in an envelope. Just send me a check to cover the 55 cents postage ;-)

Snapper
i have lots of scraps and even polyester and epoxy
I'm in Schenectady likely closer than the other guys if you want to zip on over
or I can ship you a bunch of cloth
i have 4 oz, 6 oz, maybe even some 10 oz as well as some carbon kevlar sleeving

Wow! What a generous group of people. Honestly, I'm a bit of a putz when it comes to repairs so I've never used peel ply and am unfamiliar with Kevlar felt (heavier material?). Anyway, I'll get up to my barn, measure out the damage and go from there. Thanks to everyone who replied. I'll be in touch soon.

snapper

Or you can just buy some fiberglass cloth and marine epoxy through the mail. Then you would have some materials for your next repair.

First off, let me apologize for not getting back to all you generous folks more quickly. We've been experiencing a small family emergency so my mind drifted elsewhere. As for a photo, I'm not a Smartphone user posting photos isn't the easiest thing for me. That said, the "divot" is a break in the cloth that includes crunches into the foam core. The overall size is 1.5" x 2.5" so it's not a large area. Since this isn't a "beauty" boat, I'm really looking to just patch it so the floor is a solid surface.

Anyway, thanks to everyone. Not wanting to offend anyone who so generously offered their materials, I will PM the individual that I think best has what I'm looking for. Please know how much I appreciate all the generous offers. That's one of the reasons I keep coming back to this forum...everyone is so willing to share.

snapper

Back