• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Need help coaxing river fish

Reaction score
What lures work in June on northern rivers? I’ve plopped various plastics right in front of fish on the small river I live on and they aren’t interested. They seem to be sucking stuff from the current close to the bottom. My son is coming Thursday and I want to catch fish while he’s here.

Belt buckle works on pike
They will go after anything
I was dragging a strap
on a lake in Northern Ontario and a pike almost upended me

I'm not sure about "northern" rivers or what species you're targeting (also doubtful you'll have them by Thursday) but there's a family near Johnstown PA that makes a lure called the "Niti-1". They're awesome for trout, smallmouth bass and panfish. (Note: buy extras as they WILL get snagged on the bottom. Luckily, they're fairly inexpensive)

https://www.pcolas-lures.com/ (you'll have to call to order)

One that you can certainly try for Thursday is a Mr Twister on a lead-head jig. Green pumpkin & chartreuse are my stand-by colors and I usually vary the weight of the jig depending on current. I typically throw as light as I can get to sink slowly and hit bottom. Again, you're likely to get snagged & lose lures but you should also get bit.

I’m a fly fishing kind of guy, but in the past, you could catch me floating on the little Juniata river with my dog up front while I sipped a beer and tossed Mepps rooster tails port and starboard as the boat drifted in circles. Size 0 and 1 if I recall….darker for cloudy water and lighter for clearer water and I caught trout, smallies, rock bass, pickerel, walleye, and musky. And Fall Fish….ewwww!

Good Luck!
Barry

Can you be more specific about the species you're targeting. Are you maybe seeing carp or suckers feeding?

Live bait is hard to beat.

Also, your northern river would be considered a southern river on this forum.

Alan

Can you be more specific about the species you're targeting. Are you maybe seeing carp or suckers feeding?

Live bait is hard to beat.

Also, your northern river would be considered a southern river on this forum.

Alan
Maybe not “northern” in the Canadian vernacular, but when the bugs show up, they qualify. Can’t even use a mesh crown truckers hat or my scalp gets turned to hamburger. Fish ain’t biting on the lakes yet either. At least most. Been too cool, I reckon. Any minute that will change…I hope. One guy at the bait shop said white is working on crappie. Bass are Luke warm to pumpkin geeen. We’ll see tomorrow. Gonna bring some worms just in case.

Last edited:
Back