My quest for the best custom made ottertail paddle in the world

Reaction score
After some back and forth and measuring my middle finger length, I have placed an order for a paddle that was in stock on his website. Wavy black cherry, 62”. Now the wait…

Reaction score
Beautiful paddles you guys have. I really like that grip. I have a Whiskey Jack paddle that has a similar style Northwoods grip that I like, but alas it is a tad short for me. I use modified otter tails from Ray Kettlewell and Fishell and dig them. Maybe next season I’ll add another paddle.

Barry

Glenn MacGrady

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That’s the one. I do love cherry! The grip and oval shaft should provide an interesting comparison to my Fishell.

Just in case you haven't grabbed the pictures before Bruce takes them down, here are the closeups of your wavy cherry blade and shaft.

Bruce Smith 62 inch Wavy Cherry Ottertail Blade.jpg

Bruce Smith 62 inch Wavy Cherry Ottertail Shaft.jpg

and measuring my middle finger length

What did this have to do with paddle selection or size?

Reaction score
Just in case you haven't grabbed the pictures before Bruce takes them down, here are the closeups of your wavy cherry blade and shaft.

View attachment 128802

View attachment 128803

What did this have to do with paddle selection or size?

Thanks, these are better pics, I only got screenshots 😉

Bruce explained that he can make the ball of the grip a good fit for the hand. Based on feedback from his paddling classes. My 8.5cm was a good match for that paddle, so no real point in ordering custom. I rather liked the wood grain on that one.

Reaction score
Well tracking seems to involve a bit of guessing and wishful thinking… the paddle arrived today. It is stunning! I’m surprised how finely made it is, a slender ovalized shaft and relatively small grip. It is comfortable to “paddle in the air” and I can’t wait to go try it out. The finish is warm, and gentle rotation in the sun reveals the striking chatoyance in the wood. It is wonderful to touch and hold. It is so much nicer in person than in a picture on the net, but here goes:

5217F2F4-13FF-4FF9-BD3E-B72EC58FC7F8.jpeg1C6DB584-6120-40DF-96A4-A182EFAEEAB9.jpeg7AA4A319-8E58-4422-A168-C4689A886550.jpeg

Last edited: