• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

My foot peg mounting method

G

DSC00162.jpgA while back there was a thread (which I can't find now) discussing how to secure foot pegs in a boat. I hate drilling holes in my boats, so this is what I came up with, and, so far, it has worked. First I cut pieces of cedar about 3" wide and 3" longer than the foot peg track. Then I shaped one side of the cedar so it fit the curve of the hull where I wanted the track. Then I glued (contact cement) velcro to the inside of the hull and to the shaped part of the cedar mounting blocks. This has been very secure; in fact, I tried to remove them for what would have been a series of photos and the contact cement seems to be letting go before the velcro.

davavd,
I like that idea of Velcro attachments...did you use the industrial strength Velcro? or the smaller nap stuff?
And how long have you used this? Is the Velcro holding up well? Gathering debris?

I'm nearing the end of a solo stripper build, and I was puzzling how to attach my seat. The seat frame may need to be removed, to make for easier carrying, and I want it adjustable. But, I don't want to use any fasteners that can get lost, or need tools.
The Velcro sounds just about right!

I'm sorry I can't answer the question about "industrial". I don't recall that it was, but the box is long gone. I got it at Walmart, it was 2" wide, and came in sew-on (which was what I got) and adhesive-backed. Last time I looked for it, I could only find adhesive-backed.

As for the seat problem you're wrestling with, in the same boat, I have a suspended seat, which seems to be working well. I was having some back problems, and my physical therapist said it would help if I got my butt up as far as I could. Again, not wanting to drill holes, this is what I have come up with. It is still in the prototype stage, but I like it enough to have made an oak frame, which I have ordered the cane for.
IMG_00081.jpg

I talked this over with another boat buddy, he really liked the idea of a velcro positioned seat frame. We even dreamed up other uses for velcro strips, to hold paddles while carrying too!

I'll likely epoxy in some carbon covered foam cleats, and have the seat frame rest on them. I want the ability to position the seat fore and aft to trim the hull, and yet be able to quickly (and without tools or fear of lost fasteners) move the seat out of the way for carries. I carry often and sometimes long distances, often where there are no trails. I've had buddies that have lost their fasteners for removable thwarts...
And maybe you have guessed, I'm very weight conscious.
Thanks for the inspiration.

In my experience, Velcro can work fine for seats, pegs, etc, but eventually gunks-up with algae, duckweed, grim, etc, and adhesive backing usually fails over time too. 3M's dual lock lasts longer but is harder to acquire and work with.

Methacrylate adhesives, Plexus among them, will attach plastic footpegs tracks to hulls in perpetuity and is available from Johnstown Dist for around $12 for adequate amounts.

Back