• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

More on Tripping Truck Outfitting

Reaction score
Another Tacoma Outfitting Project.

My last several months have been spent tinkering with outfitting the back of my pickup truck cap to better serve me while camping/traveling. Mr. McCrea's posts along these lines have been very helpful as I have shamelessly borrowed (poached) ideas that worked out for him. It is almost impossible to calculate the time I've saved by adopting quickly those ideas that have been tested and proven. Thanks Mike!

As one moves forward on this kind of project, there can be moments of clever thought as one leverages existing hardware into uses beyond their original intent.

In the interest of sharing what I've learned so far, here are some things I discovered.

The Tacoma bed rail system comes with tie down cleats that mount into the recessed rail channel. As good fortune would have it, there are 1/4 inch holes factory drilled in the handle ends of each cleat. I purchased 1/4 inch rod, cutting it to a length that would provide anchoring support for my 5/8 inch plywood shelf. The rod is threaded through the cleat, then through a 1/4 inch hole drilled into the plywood shelf and down to the bed floor. Presto - a shelf support structurally strong, with virtually no movement, and easily disassembled. The rod also serves quite handy in retaining poles and hiking staffs.

Retaining rods.jpg

A Yakima rack was ordered with the cap and this past week I noticed the install of the rack resulted in 1/4 inch threaded bolts extending a slight ways into the interior of the cap. Hmmm, it struck me that use could be made of the excess threaded bolt in the ceiling if I could find a nut that would marry with the 1/4 inch bolt.

Rummaging in my shop's nuts and bolts collection, I was disappointed to discover a 1/4 inch/20 nut would not thread its way onto the bolt. A closer examination of the bolt revealed a finer thread than 20 was on the bolt. In hopes that a call to Yakima could be avoided, I headed to the hardware store in search for 1/4 inch nut with finer threads. After looking in numerous bins of nuts it appeared a call to Yakima would be necessary and then I discovered a bin of 1/4 inch/28 locking nuts. Taking one out to the truck a testing resulted in a perfect match with the bolt!

Time to make some fabric loops and create ceiling tie downs; the result was wonderful. 6 loops were installed on the ceiling of each side of the cap. Along with loops installed on the upper part of the side window frames, a crisscrossing bungee cord was threaded through the ceiling loops. Into that web of bungee I mounted my sturdy chair in a bag. "Chair in the Air" I call it. Although light weight, the chair is bulky - now it sits very out of the way and yet easy to get to.
Ceiling Loop.jpg

"Chair in the Air"

Chair in the Air.jpg

Caaaaaaaarpet. Nice and comfy. You could sleep in there. You need lighting in there too, maybe a power socket for a cooler or such. Fold up bed on one side perhaps?

The objective was to organize the cab space such that the area I might sleep is reserved for just that. I've managed to have secure on my bench dry food for 14 days, kitchen with 2 stoves and fuel, large every efficient cooler, and my camp chair. Miscellaneous stuff under the bench. Slow and steady gets it done.

The bench

Sleeping space.jpg

Attachments

• Sleeping space.jpg
    Sleeping space.jpg
    303.3 KB · Views: 0
Progress continues on the truck outfitting project.

Good fortune befell me as a friend of mine had an old tennis court net he intended to trash. Sensing an opportunity, I offered to take it off his hands telling him I would repurpose it. I did warn him it would no longer be useful as a tennis net after my recycling effort.

My thinking was a section of the net would be useful hanging from the truck cap ceiling to store light items and get them out of the way. Turns out the height of the tennis net is a perfect fit - side to side - in the truck cap. So I cut a length of the net off and installed it using the ceiling loops previously installed. Perfect spot to stash the clothes one takes off before going to bed and other light weight items. Those ceiling loops have come in handy once again.

My next step was to craft another bench shelf for the other side while leaving me room to sleep between the two benches. The narrow second bench was built just wide enough to store my paddles underneath with room to spare for tarp poles.

Ceiling net.JPG

The 2nd bench shelf frame

2nd Bench.JPG

Attachments

• Ceiling net.JPG
    Ceiling net.JPG
    348 KB · Views: 0
Back