• Happy There's Nothing Like a Dame Day! 👩🏼‍🦳👗👙🎦

Mississippi

Reaction score
Over 40 years I've done a lot of work in Mississippi. I've thought many of the waterways looked inviting to paddle, then in researching the Tallahatchie River, since I drove over and around it, I read of one kayaker describing a cottonmouth climbing up his paddle. Not my idea of a relaxing paddle. Any Mississippi paddling experiences here? I'm headed back later this year and had thought of driving and carrying canoe.

In SE Mississippi Black Creek and Red Creek have quite a few miles of scenic paddling. Located in Desoto National Forest overnight trips are possible and at normal levels numerous large sandbars offer pull over camp sites. Brooklyn, MS is the center for all this. Hattiesburg is the closet large town.

I've researched that. Maybe two nights out. But are there nasty snakes? Nice thing about being far north, virtually poisonous snakes. I can deal with bear - brow, black, mini, or otherwise - but don't need snakes as additional incentive to not dump.

Thank you. Don't see much on paddling in Mississippi.

We paddled in February so reptiles were dormant. I’m sure there are snakes about during milder temps but the odds of encountering one is probably slim.

I've never seen a snake on a sand bar but anything's possible, I suppose. Every mainland U.S. state has poisonous snakes except Maine, they say.

How do like alligators?

I'll probably stay close to CA border but it seems water snakes are only in the southeast in the US. Lots if other places to paddle.

I've researched that. Maybe two nights out. But are there nasty snakes? Nice thing about being far north, virtually poisonous snakes. I can deal with bear - brow, black, mini, or otherwise - but don't need snakes as additional incentive to not dump.

Thank you. Don't see much on paddling in Mississippi.

There are poisonous snakes in the North.. The Massassauga rattler can nail you. We have some pockets of timber rattlesnakes in Maine. I live on what was once called Rattlesnake Pond and look across it at Rattlesnake Mountain,
Most of our snakes are quite mice . However the Northern Water Snake is unsettling as it swims past you in the water.

Gators are cool.. Except when you accidentally scare them and they almost land in your boat.

Python anyone?

it seems water snakes are only in the southeast in the US. Lots if other places to paddle.

If this will ease your snake anxiety a paddling friend of mine who is a zoo herpetologist told me that only poisonous snakes float. A snake you see in the water that has its entire body on top of the water is poisonous; if all you see is its head and neck it is a harmless water snake.

...only poisonous snakes float. A snake you see in the water that has its entire body on top of the water is poisonous; if all you see is its head and neck it is a harmless water snake.

Not to stray from the destination topic, but that's a handy piece of info to have... you can learn the damnedest things here sometimes...

I have paddled the Mississippi River many times from Lake Itasca to Lake Bemidji many times never once saw a snake.
Not the part of Mississippi you were talking about. I spent what felt like a couple of years in Biloxi going to Air Traffic Control Tech School. Did not leave anything in that part of the world, so do not see any reason to go back. My mother always said “If you can’t say something nice don’t say anything at all.” So I can say, “I liked the Spanish moss on the trees.”

Back