• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Midwest Canoe Symposium

Reaction score
I spent last weekend at the Midwest Canoe Symposium in Peninsula Ohio (near Akron). I don't know the exact count, but I believe there were just over 20 students, a similar number of instructors and a hand full of significant others, holding down the fort.
The weather was quite cooperative, with the only significant rain being on Friday night, after most of us had turned in. The residual rain on Saturday didn't disrupt anything. By competition/exhibition time, the sun was back out and barely a breeze to ripple the water.
Classes spanned the spectrum of both solo and tandem. There were students for most of the quadrants. Additional classes were in touring technique, forward stroke tune up, moving around in the boat, exhibition, canoeing essentials and likely more that I've missed.
Instructor updates were offered in L1-L3 Touring, L1 Kayak & L2 River Kayak. A Canoe Camping endorsement class was also held.
I had the privilege of working 1 on 1 with a 13 year old in a cross forward class. The young man was amazing and kept a grin on MY face throughout the entire class. He did a demo of most of the basic FS maneuvers, prior to the competition. There is a video of it on the FS Facebook page.
As always, the food was great as were the social aspects of the event. The Freestyle Pickers performed several times.
Kudos to Bob and Elaine Mravetz (our hosts) for a job superbly done.

A great event all round. I learned a lot. My first visit, but not the last. I will bring my lovely wife next time. One complaint-I ate too much!
Turtle

A NEW SYMPOSIUM (Further Midwest)

SAVE THE DATES!

WISCONSIN CANOE SYMPOSIUM

JUNE 19 -21, 2015
Pine Lake Camp, Westfield, WI

The Wisconsin Canoe Symposium will be held from June 19-21 at Pine Lake Camp, Westfield, WI .

Food service and a variety of lodging accommodations will be available, including motel style rooms, cabin bunkhouse, and a campground with available electric.

Canoe instruction will be the primary focus, with camaraderie and an overall great time a close second…

Details to follow!

Your hosts,
Tracy Hunt & Paul Klonowski

More information will be posted, as it becomes available on the FreeStyle site, www.freestylecanoeing.com

For this event to be successful, it is important that folks from the real mid west attend and that it doesn't draw folks away from other canoe symposiums.

Back