• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Machias River canoe trip, “Pole, paddle and portage”

How did he get the sequence going down the pitch? Go Pro on a pole! Early season too I see. Tents optional! Note the bellows.. very useful and cheap.

Nice sculling/back paddle to get lined up for the rips too.

A little more intense than I can do now.. But I see they had spotters at each crucial hitch.
Note the tump.. Its in the right place.

Very nicely done.

Looks like a nice section of river, just like I like it, mixe of flat and small rapids just to keep you interested!!

I want to do this trip. I was looking at the route on my gazetteer and it looks like there are a number of roads you can use to adjust the length of the trip.

Last edited:
Yes, it's a great route and not very high traffic. It's best done in the spring because the water gets pretty low in the summer. I did it from Fourth Machias Lake to the coast in May of 2014, and have some notes and photos if they would be helpful. I highly recommend the AMC Maine Rivers guide.

Anyone have any opinion on the viability of doing an almost-loop consisting of dropping gear at 5th, taking vehicle to first, walking back to gear (looks to be 5 miles or so) and then paddling 5th-4th-3rd-2nd, ending at 1st? Probably depends mostly on access/road condition and if there's a spot to park at 1st - I've not been to that area (Scraggly Lake ~25 miles north is the closest I've been) so I have no frame of reference.

Anyone have any opinion on the viability of doing an almost-loop
Can't speak to the hike-back but timing would be critical. As I've had it explained to me by a guide out of Machias, the water out of 5th and 4th in Machias Stream is viable only for a very short window in early spring (or after major rain events) and yet you also need to be late enough in the season for the access roads to be reopened. Last year on May 16 (which should have been perfect timing for the upper lakes) we were forced to put in on Second Lake because there wasn't enough water above it. Even starting at third lake would have been a drag-fest. Still had a great trip down from Second Lake though.

Well made video.. Showing the skills.
I have been on some trips with groups of 8 or more a few times, but we have too many rookies around here that need looking after.
My canoe tripping days are near the end at 73. I like drift boats now.

Anyone have any opinion on the viability of doing an almost-loop consisting of dropping gear at 5th, taking vehicle to first, walking back to gear (looks to be 5 miles or so) and then paddling 5th-4th-3rd-2nd, ending at 1st? Probably depends mostly on access/road condition and if there's a spot to park at 1st - I've not been to that area (Scraggly Lake ~25 miles north is the closest I've been) so I have no frame of reference.
I did something similar a couple years ago, although with 3rd Lake as the takeout. I did it in April during covid and to my surprise most of the roads were closed, so instead of starting with ~6 miles of slackpacking it was a full portage. I wasn't expecting that so I wasn't even packed light. I really needed a mental health canoe trip at the time so I pressed on, but it was pretty brutal. There's a lot of PUD on those forest roads. I'll say one thing, nobody else was walking those roads, I had thousands of acres to myself. I later lost my camera in the drink so I never did a trip report on it. Anyway, good trip if you don't mind a road walk and the roads are open for the drop. If you do it in the spring, be smart (as I was not) and call American Forest Management 827 3700 ext 100 for a recording about road conditions. The Downeast Lakes Land Trust people might also know.

I love loop trips, even when you have to force them a bit.

There is a spot with plenty of parking just north/upstream from 1st lake. That's where the canoe race would start, although I don't think it's being held this year.

Back