• Happy 1st Showing of a Color Photograph (1861)! 📷🎥🏳️‍🌈

Kilvert Lake Weekend Trip

Reaction score
Hi all,

Trips sometimes get planned at the strangest places. At a meeting this spring I was asked about taking a canoe trip with a fellow board member and his wife - potentially to the Experimental Lakes Area (ELA). As time rolled by the route had to be changed to one that did not involve portaging. I put the word out for a partner (I usually lead group trips so lack a regular partner) and my nephew jumped at the chance to go. We had fun planning meals, packing a few days before, (I had most of the gear - he brought mainly enthusiasm!), and on the trip itself.

This trip just about didn't happen - but the whole family said for us to go.

Our trip partners have been canoeing since the 70's and have brought up all their children with backcountry travel. I found it interesting in how much has changed and how much remained the same in the 40 odd years since they met.

Once I took this trip I remembered how much I enjoyed canoe tripping - I hope you find something of interest in it for your enjoyment in the winter months.

What's for dinner tomorrow night? I hope it's pizza! That looked good. Thanks GearFreak. That was a fun day 1.

Nice to see someone else who packs heavy as we do. We don't however have a reflector oven, although I do have a vintage Coleman oven I could take, and all of it's 6 pounds or so.

I love the long driving intro....that really captures what it is like to get there. Even though I am a hard core Manitohoyan now, that welcome to Ontario sign always makes me shed a little tear when I see it.
Wow, a "no portage trip". That looks pretty appealing. Not far from home either. Another one to add to the list. A good trip to use a w/c canoe on.

Long weekenders are looking to be what my trips are going to evolve into. Less crap to drag along with me.

Christine

Great video! Love the commentary. Makes us want to head out to ELA this weekend. It's supposed to be 10C.

Thanks everybody! For me its the rock cuts on the highway that amp me up when I head east of the city (bet you couldn't tell eh!) Spaghetti will be Saturdays supper but I kept that one on the tame side.

Motivation to get on with the editing.

The Kilvert end of Dogtooth is really pretty though it can get pretty hairy in a cross wind. In August we paddled a three day loop from Ethelma, up to Hawk and then back down through Kilvert . It had been windy all day but seemed OK when we headed from the portage at the north end of Kilvert to ( I think) the campsite where you stayed. Half way down the lake the waves picked up and we had to run for cover with waves breaking over the stern. There are some nice trips out of Rushing River, though, as you spotted, some of the sites get used by less than conscientious campers!

We should try your reflector with one of my larger fireboxes.

I enjoyed that, looks like a good time. Beautiful area, you make a good video too nice editing..

Matching cooking gloves...wow. We haven't had a matching pair for 30 years, ours look like I greased my John Deere with them on.

Robin;n37131 Matching cooking gloves...wow. We haven't had a matching pair for 30 years said:
Interesting you said that Robin, cause I was thinking wow, those cooking "gloves/mitt" are awfully clean!!

Hi BV, I can imagine trying to get into the little passage if the winds are out of the North on Dogtooth. That would probably require a route change or at least a stop on an island to wait it out. Its pretty narrow and shallow. It has pucker possibilities for sure! For sure - we can try it with a firebox some time.

Guys - I do have a set of roper gloves for the dirty tasks. Remember I am not a lightweight camper!

If anyone does head to this area after the rushing river park closes - you can launch at the nearby lodge - just phone to make sure they are open. Sadly I am booked this upcoming weekend (the forecast will hold hopefully) - but I am camping next weekend!

Thanks for another great video. You did a neat job on that pot cozy.
I think we actually stayed at the last of the sites you checked before heading to Gale Lake the next day. I remember seeing the axe cut on the large tree. The narrow path leads eventually to a makeshift throne (NASTY!) The portage trail that comes in from the North to Tomahawk Bay has the motherlode of all blueberry patches plus a long section of black porridge like mud as well. We should swap map notes some time.

In the third installment I was going to show the two sites on the map and outline a bunch of map ones I scouted on the way back thru Dogtooth.

Bruce's map's are really marked up from years of tripping - Quite neat actually. He has the years and who he was with on them as well. very neatly done - wish I would have gotten a pic of them but didn't. He pointed us in the direction of the three unmarked sites on that big island between the sites.

Back