• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

Jersey Paddler RIP

G

I went to several of their Paddle Expos in March many years ago when sea kayaks were the relatively new thing. It was worth the drive, but this was pre- internet. I bought an RX Bell Wildfire from them, among other things. They had a pond nearby for test paddles, which was nice. Times change.

We test paddled and bought our first two RX tandems from them 20 some years ago, both demo boats the rep wanted gone at the end of the show and so a great deal. A family that travelled up with us likewise bought two boats.

It was at the time a well stocked store with a knowledgeable staff.

If BMO were to close I’d be driving to the Adirondacks or Richmond to find a decent paddleshop.

I bought my first and only whitewater C-1 from Jersey Paddler in 1984, a Perception GyraMax, designed by world champion John Lugbill. The shop was then a sort of big hole-in-the wall. I was there six or seven years ago and they had a beautiful large showroom with hundreds of paddlecrafts outside, probably only 20 of them open canoes.

Why would such a long-time successful paddlesport dealer fail? The economy in general? Decline in demand for kayaks now as well as canoes? The Genghis Khan horde of cheap rec kayaks sold from big box stores pillaging the world?

Why would such a long-time successful paddlesport dealer fail? The economy in general? Decline in demand for kayaks now as well as canoes? The Genghis Khan horde of cheap rec kayaks sold from big box stores pillaging the world?

Economy, yes.
Decline in demand for canoes and higher end kayaks, yes.
Big box rec kayaks (and now Walmart paddleboards), yes.

But the fourth punch in the gut to paddlesports shops has probably been the inter-net and on-line sales.

The inter-net in part because paddlers can often find the boat of their dreams used and much cheaper than retail new, and can research gear and equipment from their couch.

As far as on-line vendors, well, I make the hour plus trip to my preferred brick and mortar outfitter (BMO) several times a year, and usually manage to drop at least $100. But I do order stuff on-line from the Top Kayaker and Austin C&K sites as well.

My couple hundred bucks a year isn’t keeping BMO is business.

I would guess BMO remains a viable business because they do everything; new boats, used boats, top notch outfitting and repairs, river trips and shuttles, and more gear and parts in stock than any other paddle shop I have seen.

Back