• Happy May Ray Day! 🌞😎🌻🩳🇩

ISO Mad River Explorer Duck Hunter

Mad River made 14, 16 and 17 foot versions of the Duckhunter.

14 long with 37.25 inch gunwale width, 14.25 deep at center
16 long with 35 inch gunwale width, 14.5 deep at center
17 long with 37.25 inch gunwale width, 14 deep at center.

Other than the darker interior is the Duck Hunter 16 any different from an RX Explorer? Same dimensions, weight and etc. The Explorer 16 is pretty common for sale used.

The Duck Hunter 17 appears to match the dimensions of a Revelation, and the Duck Hunter 14 the Tahoe (early 2000 vintage badge names)

I'm located in Terre Haute, Indiana but willing to travel a reasonable distance for the right boat/deal. I don't think there is any difference other than color. I have found several RX Explorers, that is what I was originally shopping for until someone turned me on to the duck hunter. I do a considerable amount of waterfowl hunting so the drab color appealed to me. I could always paint one but hate to go that route.

I'm located in Terre Haute, Indiana but willing to travel a reasonable distance for the right boat/deal. I don't think there is any difference other than color. I have found several RX Explorers, that is what I was originally shopping for until someone turned me on to the duck hunter. I do a considerable amount of waterfowl hunting so the drab color appealed to me. I could always paint one but hate to go that route.

Given the apparent availability and price difference between an uncommon Duck Hunter and a more plebian RX Explorer I would jump at a reasonably priced Explorer, buy cans of brown, green and black spray paint and have at it. There are lots of spray paint camouflage techniques.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f66rP1G_YUU

There are other, less permanent, disguising options. Any kind of local flora matching cloth camo cover, even if just draped over the gunwales while stationary is a boon

A DIY receiver for native flora affixed to the bow is very helpful. I had a simple Swiss cheese drill holed T-bar on the bow, usually festooned brushily with (local) Pin oak branches, which keep their leaves through the winter, or with Spartina grass from the marsh.

Avoid using that dang Phragmites and other invasive plants if in your area. That crap spreads easily enough on its own.

I overlooked the MRC Duck Hunter 15

14 feet 9 inches long x 35.75 inches at the gunwales, 64 lbs. An Explorer 15 in olive drab.

I have never paddled the shorter Tahoe, but the Explorer 15 was a bit of a pig compared to the longer and narrower Explorer 16.

Back