• Happy Incorporation of Hudson's Bay Co. (1670) 🍁🦫🪓

Is this a Chum?

Reaction score
This canoe has been hanging in slings for years in a basement. Son of the current owner says it is a Chestnut purchased in 1965 new by his father. I'm told its 15', 31" beam at the gunwales, 29" beam at the hull. Has a Chestnut decal. Any ideas or input from you knowledgeable folks would be appreciated. I have not seen the boat, only these photos. I haven't seen photos of a Chum with a keel as this one has.

Thanks, Mark

20161118_104530.jpg 20161118_104117.jpg 20161118_104139.jpg 20161118_104230.jpg 20161118_104050.jpg 20161118_104221.jpg

Sure looks like a Chum to me, that's the right keel, decks look like my Chum, ribs look like 1 1/2" with 1 1/2" in between each rib. 29" wide is about the same as mine too. Seats are not right, might be some slats nailed on top of original seats and the shear-line is right too.
Nice canoe

Thanks Robin. Now the big question - any idea based on what can be seen in the photos might be a fair price range to pay for such a boat? It is 11 hours away from me although I have a friend who has volunteered to drive down and take a look at it. But he's not a wood/canvas expert either. Thanks for anyone's thoughts.

Thanks Robin. Now the big question - any idea based on what can be seen in the photos might be a fair price range to pay for such a boat? It is 11 hours away from me although I have a friend who has volunteered to drive down and take a look at it. But he's not a wood/canvas expert either. Thanks for anyone's thoughts.
Really hard to guess. So many factors at play, including location.

It needs work.. The outwales have been replaced and the inwales need it too. If its a utility boat I wouldn't bother doing that though

Ribs..look for broken ribs. Closely. Feel every inch of every rib.
Planking again the same...a split plank isnt a big deal

Its sometimes hard to tell if the hull has been glassed. if so the value tanks.

Also check for rot under the deck and at the end of thwarts.
http://forums.wcha.org/showthread.ph...t=buying+canoe

Look in really good shape to me from the what I can see on the pictures. I'm no w/c expert, far from that. but I know a few things about wood... Inwhales outwhales, hard to see if anything is wrong with them... Were they using 2 different wood on the Chum, like spruce inwhales, and some thing else like cherry, oak, mahogany for the outwhales?
I agree that the seats are not original, at least the top slats... And maybe the thwarts too!!

It looks pretty good to me, I can't even tell if the gunnels have been replaced, those inwales look good also. The canoe looks like it has not spent too much time outside, no dark stain on the tips of the decks or ribs where it might have laid on wet grass or sand too long and the wood started to deteriorate.
If the canvas is original then it looks pretty good for it's age but will no doubt need to be replaced down the road. If it has been fiber glassed like YC mentioned, that can be a problem.
I think they came with spruce inwales and oak or ash gunnels.
I saw a Chum sell in central NY last year for $700-800 iirc, it's pics didn't show as nice a canoe as this.
The seats are an easy fix back to original, hand webbed cane with a little effort, pick up the book "This Old Canoe" for excellent instructions on Chestnut seat repairs. (and excellent diy instructions on canvasing/filling/painting your new Chum)

To some folks a Chestnut Chum is not that big a deal, an average "cottage" canoe with not a great reputation for quality workmanship. You can use that as leverage.
To others (like me) they are considered a pretty darn good solo tripping canoe that came from the Chestnut factory. Nothing wrong with custom made canoes by modern builders, they are almost always better made canoes than Chestnuts, but they are not original Chestnuts which means a lot to some folks (me) or nothing to other folks, to each his/her own.

If the canvas has been replaced and looks good (no cracks/peeling paint), the wood work looks good, around a $900-1200 might be a good price. If the canvas is original and has cracked paint/peeling paint you will need to figure in a new canvas. If you can do it yourself it's about $225 for material,(canvas, home made filler, paint and incidentals) a pro might charge $1000 or more.

I

Thanks for everyone's comments. Good guidance for me on what to look for. I appreciate it.

Mark

Robin mentioned Mike Eliots book.. It also has a section on caning canoe seats.. I still have a hard time wrapping my head around two tone gunwales.. which to me means something has been replaced.. But if it needed to be replaced they did a nice job.. Good luck!
My W/C canoes are all modern designs based on Chestnuts as those boats have great lines.

I still have a hard time wrapping my head around two tone gunwales.. which to me means something has been replaced../QUOTE]
Not sure about Chestnut, but Old Town as well as many other builders offered mahogany outwales as an option.
Dave
True.. but the mahogany is much darker. Our Robertson has mahogany.. The restoration has been slow but the sanding is done and the mahogany is a unique color..a little lighter than rosewood..
Those outwales look cherryish.. Got three boats with cherry outwales and spruce inwales.

Hard to tell from pics, but I would say those outwales are new as well. I have light coloured mahogany on my chum stripper, and it looks a lot like those gunwales.

From the owner the outwales were painted orange by his father at some point. They have the original invoice from 1965. Canoe was $149 new if I remember right. Still debating driving 11 hours to Massachusetts in the next couple of weeks to see it. Price is down to $1000 from $1500. Hmmm...

Question remains as to fiberglass. Owner doesn't think so. I guess I'd have to remove an outwale to see beneath. Any other way to know for sure?

11 hour drive eh, for a Chum? Been there- done that- for a Pal though...and in much worse state than this.

Not sure how to check for glassed hull without seeing and feeling it beyond getting owner to try to scratch the hull "covering" in some unobtrusive spot. Should be able to tell if 'glass or filled canvas.

If canvas- and canvas is serviceable-$1000 is high end of fair, more like 850-950. If Canvas and needs replacing, i'd think $700 range.
If 'glassed....

Good luck!
Bruce

Where in Mass, if not too far I could help, or if near Boston there are a few others who might go if not to far. BTW, I'm not looking for another Chum so I wouldn't buy it out from under you..haha (it's not in Kenebunkport Maine area is it? I know of a couple there)

north of Springfield, which is out west of Boston is all I know.

Owner said his dad painted the hull at some point. Don't know if that means its covering fiberglass or not. All wood said to be original. Says the paint has some fine cracks in it. So I guess it will need canvas right off the bat... just what I need - more money going out of my pocket as I sit here writing checks for property taxes!

"11 hour drive eh, for a Chum? Been there- done that- for a Pal though...and in much worse state than this."

11 hours is doable for sure.The price sounds a little stiff to me though. I am usually looking at 500 and under. Of course I now have thousands of dollars worth of $300 boats...a whole warehouse full.

This one looks ok but invariably once you start to dismantly any 50 year old canoe you find stuff. So really, the cheaper the better. Want a really nice little 15 foot soloish wc canoe? Robin has a cute little Faber that will be every bit as good as that Chum and may in fact handle better. And it will be guaranteed good to go.
Just an idea. I would buy it if it were closer.

Christy

Mark,
Depending upon the nature of the cracks in paint- and the pics don't show anything major- and assuming it is filled canvas- you don't necessarily need to replace canvas right off the bat. Depending upon the nature of the "fine cracks" in the paint you might not need to replace for a while : minor scrapes, cracks and chips in the paint can be filled, sanded and then the hull painted. Did that just last month on my Bobs Special.

Murat has a great blog on minor canvas hull repair on his Paddle Making blog:
http://paddlemaking.blogspot.ca/2016_07_01_archive.html

Good luck!
BruceI

Back