• Happy Scream Day! 😱

Huron River

Reaction score
I drove from SW Michigan to SE Michigan today to paddle the Huron. It was kind of a nostalgia paddle since we used to live in Ann Arbor and I paddled the Huron a lot.

I launched fairly early so it wasn't too crowded at first. I paddled from Dexter-Huron Metropark up to Hudson Mills Metropark, somewhere around 6-8 miles upstream and then back.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	510.0 KB ID:	115086
Can you spot the spotted fawn?
Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	459.4 KB ID:	115087
In many places you can see the bottom of the river from bank to bank. There are also long stretches where the water is very thin so it's some work to go upstream.
Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	448.7 KB ID:	115088
This pic was taken going back downstream. On the upstream run it took me four tries to get through...this spot was always a challenge. There were some spectators and I got some cheers when I finally made it.
Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	498.6 KB ID:	115089
The reward for running the little drop upstream is a good long stretch of relatively deep water.
Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	375.8 KB ID:	115090
Overall it was a great paddle and kind of like putting on an old pair of comfy shoes. When I got back to the take-out I couldn't believe how crowded the park was with every parking spot taken and cars parking wherever they could, probably 3-4 times as many people as I've ever seen there.

Got an old friend in AA who is a Northstar dealer. Any chance you know Ron? Emailed him a couple times and haven’t heard back. Hoping all is well.

Got an old friend in AA who is a Northstar dealer. Any chance you know Ron? Emailed him a couple times and haven’t heard back. Hoping all is well.

I do know Ron although I haven't talked to him in many years. He removed the decals, added the D-rings and fitted the thwarts on the (1999) Merlin II that I used today and coincidentally I was carrying a paddle that he made today. He does nice work. I hope he's OK.

Back