• Happy Star Wars Day! 🌇🚶🏼‍,👑👊🏼🔙

Hull

Reaction score
Anyone know of a technique that could bring back the color of a faded Royalex hull? I have a canoe that is in desperate need of some TLC and one thing I'd like to do is bring back as much of the original color as possible.
Thx in advance for any pointers.

I think I would try some 'Soft Scrub'. I replaced the gunnels on a Royalex canoe a number of years ago, and I seem to remember using that.
Jim

Thx! Done. The Soft Scrub cleaned up the inside and outside of the hull real nice. Still dull from years of Sun but it looking much nicer!

Rubbing compound and marine wax will remove oxidation and restore gloss to. Pblanc I think has over methods. Citraclean ?

Softy rub is abrasive. I think more than rubbing compound applied with lambs wool buffer

No Title

Hello, I'm new here with a lot of questions about repairing what I'm told is a Royalex hull. To begin all I have is a hull. I have found ash to build the gunnels, thwarts, seats if need be. My first question is can the entire hull be painted? And what type of paint? I've found posts about touch ups but nothing really about repainting the entire hull. The nose and bottom will require some repair. Also what "type" of canoe is it? It has mad river decals but no serial number. It is right at 15' 10" along the curve of the hull. Thanks

Attachments

• photo4840.jpg
    photo4840.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo4841.jpg
    photo4841.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 0
Not sure if painting the entire hull a good idea...'specially the bottom. Might get scratched up a lot but others here might know better. Instead of painting the entire hull, I once decided to camouflage a Dagger Sojourn that I have...I stenciled various grass and plant patterns along sides of hull. Kinda looks like a duck boat I guess (will try to get pics)....although it not really the kind of boat you'd want to hunt from...maybe fish as long as you don't catch the big one haha.

Anyway...I used Krylon spray paint for plastic. It holds up pretty well once set but remember, I didn't paint entire hull...only some stencils.

As for repairing the nose...throw on some skid plates...front and back.

What "type" of canoe? Looks like something paddlers would use for tripping...mostly flat water? You right, it is a Mad River...could be an Explorer? A Freedom? Don't know Mad Rivers models too well. Sucks there's no serial number.

Good luck with it!

Last edited:
My friend painted a royalex hull with Interlux BrightSide paint, one qt did the outside with a few coats. He was covering green with green, that yellow might be an issue if you go green or red. It will show up big time when the canoe gets scratched, unless you paint it yellow again.
He used 4 foam brushes with "brushing thinner" added. He sold the canoe so I don't know what the end result was.

Thanks. I would go back with yellow . But maybe I'll just try to use the products here to remove some of the dullness. I'd hate to have to remove paint thats not working out. (Being a bit persnickety I guess) There's a fair amount of scratches on the bottom that need to be addressed. I used two 150 watt bulbs to soften the dent in the bow per advice somewhere here. Worked like a charm. Maybe I can fashion gunwales starting next week and skid plates for the bow and stern. Thanks again.

TheIndian..... can you post pictures of your gunwale progress? And any pictures of your project Royalex. From the number of screw holes in my hull its apparent the gunwales have been replaced before, I plan on filing those with epoxy....How many screws and what spacing is required to attach said gunwales ?

Sure...will try to figure out how to post pics. Haven't had any luck yet ;)
Ok...think I attached 2 pics... DSCN8108.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN8092.JPG
    DSCN8092.JPG
    314.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
TheIndian..... can you post pictures of your gunwale progress? And any pictures of your project Royalex. From the number of screw holes in my hull its apparent the gunwales have been replaced before, I plan on filing those with epoxy....How many screws and what spacing is required to attach said gunwales ?

David...I started another thread titled "Gunnels." I'll post info on gunnels there if that ok...

My gunnels are almost ready for final installation on hull. Since I don't have any "blueprints" for this tandem '95 Freedom, I am relying on Harmony Gear (or whoever) and their customer service dept. to tell me the original width of the canoe. They tell me 34.5 inches. They cannot confirm if this is from outside of gunnels, inside of gunnels, etc...

What are your thoughts on this dimension and where it's measured from?

I was also wondering if it possible to pull the hull in a bit...an inch? Two? This canoe will be paddled mainly solo now. I am thinking the more I pull in (if at all), the less stable it will become.

Your 2 cents?

Thx!

Back