• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Howdy from Colorado

Reaction score
I have been canoeing for a looong time, starting in Kentucky as I lead an Explorer Post, evolving to white water canoeing, then to white water kayaking with the Tenessee Senic Rivers Association (TSRA).
Just before I moved to CO in 1976 I sold my beloved Blue Hole canoe, thinking I would remain a kayaker. I soon discovered there was a whole lot of difference between Eastern rivers and Western rivers! In the East it's sometime easier to roll after a spill as there are usually pools of deep water after a rapid. In the West, it seemed to me, it's constant rapids in shallow and COLD flows that allow little time to grab a roll. I sold my WW kayak, being content, for years, with other outdoor activities.
That all changed in 1989 when a friend asked me to join him in filling a spot with a family group from CO going to the Quetico with a former guide for 9-days. After that, I was hooked!
I lead or have participated in well over 30 trips to the BW or Quetico; sometime twice annually. Even when my job took me to Tucson, AZ for three years, we would fly to MN in the Spring or Fall for a trip.
Now that I'm retired and back in CO my garage has rarely been empty of one or more open canoes, and I have switched to more solo canoes in my quiver lately. In 2005 I did my first solo canoe trip in the BW.
Currently I paddle a Wenonah Canak, but for financial reasons, am selling it, intending to be in a Wenonah Prism for a late-Sept, '14 trip in the BW. I long to return to the Quetico and dream of some day doing WCPP.
I'm looking foreward to joining in on many discussions and sharing my input on what I know.
Pilgrim

Welcome pilgrim I moved my family to CO in 76 also. We were stationed at Ft Carson for 3+ years. I thought thats were I wanted to be growing up, but found out I liked the east more then the big tall mountains in CO.

I was looking at the Prism Kevlar Ultra-light this week. The outfitter had one he paddle from last year he would sell me for $1800, but I don't think I'd do well in that bucket seat.

Welcome, Pilgrim and HOWDY from further south!

I too am fond of Quetico, which I started paddling solo (in a Kevlar UL Prism) in 2005 ... haven't been in a tandem boat since, although I frequently travel in the company of at least 1 other solo paddler. This year, I did my 4th trip to WCPP and I picked up a Pakboat (solo canoe) for the fly-in trip (again we each like to paddle our own canoe, and they are restricted to lashing only one canoe to the floats/struts). Next season, I venture into Opasquia Provincial Park, 185 air miles north of Red Lake (jumping off point for WCPP trips). That should be great fun!

So many lakes ... so little time!

Sweeper, you ever try to the bench seat version of the Prism. You can always pull out the tractor and convert to bench if it better fits your needs (although I find the tractor seat slider a desirable characteristics when shifting my weight fore/aft with changing wind conditions).

dd

Last edited:
Not to hijack pilgrims intro, but I got stuck in a canoe with plastic injected seat and missed the support of my Duluth Pack Seat.

Hi,
Welcome Pilgrim, I understand your desire to return to the Quetico, and try WCPP. I have been to both, and every year about this time I begin to dream of getting back...
I pull out my maps, check the calender, refresh my "must be home for this event list" and try to plan a trip. Just when I'm about to break the news to herself, gas prices start to creep up, a new event fills my dance card and I get second thoughts...I talk myself out of another trip to WCPP.
I'm hoping this is the year, but who knows.

Back