• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

How Not to Canoe

Reaction score
If a butterfly flaps its wings on the other side of the globe...

Will your Kevlar Ultralight leave port and float across the flippin lake???

Attachments

• photo10521.jpg
    photo10521.jpg
    405.9 KB · Views: 4
Whoops...Sorry everyone as I thought I was in the "Photo of The Day" section. Will try to figure out how to move this or delete and re-post.

Every picture tells a story. There story here is this poor dude has a buddy on shore with a camera who will never let him forget the day he let the canoe slip away.

Don't worry about the wrong closet. It is hysterical! If you were to take a poll, you would find you are not alone.

Thank you for your support yellowcanoe as I was having a bit of poster's remorse. Just a bit...well...come to think of it...maybe none at all.

In the Broken Group Islands on the west coast of Vancouver Island, the Beachkeepers (members of the Tseshaht First Nation who patrol the Broken Group Islands throughout the summer months, maintain camping areas, provide information and interpretation services, check permits, and assist Parks Canada staff) regularly chase down kayaks set adrift by the tides. Big oops.

I woke from a sound sleep, in the BWCA, on a solo trip, with that same vision in a dream ! The wind came up, I got up and did a double check before trying to get back to sleep !
All was well, but it wouldn't have been fun in the middle of an early Oct. night !

Funny post !
Thanks !

Jim

Wow what an image. You can forget trying to remove that picture, which I'm sure is burned into people's mind by now, cause pictures bounce all over the internet. Oh speaking of bouncing, did you "snag" any walleye when swimming out there? Great I've got that stuck in my head now!

Now that pic brought a chuckle on! I had the wind take my Disco after a line came untied down the river. I saw it out of the corner of my eye. I ran down the shore and dove in and caught up to my boat. Called it a day, it was Nov and I was wearing wool pants at the time. My car seat never forgave me!

I've yet to be caught with my pants down like that chasing an escapee canoe.
Gives me the willies leaving my unsecured canoe anywhere near the water on a take out.

Last edited:
Thanks to you all that have shared & contributed to the humor as this individual openly exposed himself to ridicule. Life is too short to cover up our mistakes.

This just keeps getting better!

Stay tuned for the next one where we can anonymously take jabs at another member of my canoe troupe.

Did that go too far??

Peace

I'm with you on this one, Odyssey! I ALWAYS tie my canoe to a tree, shrub or rock when on shore, even if only for a minute. But then, I am a worrier by nature. I have seen canoes float away, after being tugged into the water, even by a gentle wind. My favourite memory was when an empty canoe ran down a short, high Class I rapid, and hit the eddy at the bottom of the run, all by itself. Performed a very nice eddy turn. Its owners were new paddlers. I doubt they could have done as well if they were actually in the boat. I think they now also always tie their boat when on shore. It is one thing to be up the creek without a paddle. One can always fashion a paddle out of something. It is quite another thing to be up the creek without a canoe.

" Life is too short to cover up our mistakes. " Ha ha. Unless you're in mixed company.
I have in my haste hustled across a shortish portage to our boat all ready and waiting but not tied fast. Those rash marks on the stem are mine, as I leave a (too) goodly length pulled up on shore just in case. I too am a worrier. And not the best swimmer. I am a wet footer but have done the rocky windy take out waltze. Lift out and awkwardly rock hop to pass a pack to my partner fully on shore for her to set down, I tug at the gunnel before the canoe drifts away, and repeat. I will trust onshore winds, but only to walk a few yards. But I can never fully turn my back. Like I said I am not the best swimmer.

Love the picture. Perfect timing and composition.

My canoe chase came after losing hold of the bow rope pulling up a small rapid but I did leave my underwear on (not that it mattered since no one was around). Sure is an odd feeling to see your canoe floating away without you.

Alan

The easy part is it's on lake... I saw that happen on a river above a rapid but I wasn't naked....

Back