• Happy Cinco De Mayo! 🇲🇽🎸💃🪅🌶️

How Indians make a canoe - 1946 film

The only metal tool used by the Indians in the OP was a crooked knife, which they won in trade from the white man ("people of iron").

Cesar uses a lot more metal tools: an axe, at least three knives (one a modern folder), a steel hammer, a metal awl and a metal spatula. He splits his wood strips by knife batoning using the hammer as a baton (at 15:20). He also makes a paddle at the end of the film, but I was going to mention his method in my wilderness paddle thread.

Thank you Glenn!
If you don't already have this, a good companion book- [h=1]THE BARK CANOES AND SKIN BOATS OF NORTH AMERICA. Smithsonian Institution Bulletin 230. [COLOR=#555555 !important]Hardcover[/COLOR] [COLOR=#555555 !important]– 1964[/COLOR][/h]
by Edwin Tappan Adney and Howard I. Chapelle [COLOR=#555555 !important](Author)

I work in a library and was fortunate to be given a copy. There's a 2014 paperback, too, that's available.
Memaquay, will check out your film when I have a little more time.[/COLOR]

I have Tapney's book, I love it, it's a rare jem!

Smallworks, never apologize for weirdness, that's what makes life interesting!

Very impressive. The most interesting thing about the traditional way of canoe building is that all of the repair materials are readily available in the forest
Black spruce roots, white cedar, birch bark. The names roll off the tongue.
The birch bark canoe might be the most important invention that has ever come out of the Americas.

Well if we are posting our favourite NFB film on canoe making here's mine. https://www.nfb.ca/film/survival_in_the_bush All you need to survive in the bush is an axe (and a native fellow with a whole pile of know how and skills) Angus Baptiste seemed like a remarkable man.

I enjoyed that film, well done. That Angus Baptite had me hooked when he spit right in front of the camera...and that canoe was beautiful.

Back