• Happy National Nurses Day! 🛌👩‍⚕💉💊🎉

How dose a Mad River Sundance move?

Reaction score
Might have a chance at a Mad River Sundance in Kevlar. Was wondering how it handles. Would be using it as a tandem day cruiser. Can you call a 17.5 foot canoe a pocket cruiser? Really looking for a Kevlar or Black Gold Bell North star. Maybe even a newer Swift Keewaydin in Kevlar. Those canoes are about as plentiful in Florida as jackalopes. So am all ways looking for alternatives. Any information from some one who has paddled one would be appreciated. Or if you have an inexpensive jackalope laying around that would do too. I can put new gunnels on if needed.

Here's some info from an old Mad River catalogue:
http://www.madrivercanoe.com/content...3/malecite.jpg
If it really does handle like the Malecite, it would make a great tripping boat for both lakes and not-too-twisty rivers.

There's one for sale in Florida: http://tallahassee.craigslist.org/boa/4915238341.html

Someone called Woodsmoke had this to say about the Sundance on BWCA dot com:
I did a test paddle in a Sundance years ago. The others are right, it is much like the Malecite but longer and deeper, so it's a better tripping canoe. I have friends with Malecites and have paddled many BW trips in them. There is one difference, as I recall the V in the hull is deeper on the Sundance. The result is that it feels more "twitchy", particularly when empty. Final stability is very good. I don't think accomplished paddlers would have any problem with it. And a couple of packs in it would tame the wiggle straight away. I owned a Blackhawk Phantom for a number of years that's design much like the Sundance - a deep V bottom. One quickly gets used to the feel. Also, I've owned a MadRiver Lamoile for 25yr, a bigger brother of the Sundance, and love it. With a couple of packs they both are solid and comfortable in all water conditions. Once you get used to their feel fishing in them empty is not a problem. But, a Grumman they are not.

Last edited:
I've got a black gold Northstar I may be parting with this summer if you felt like taking a road trip. ;)

Alan

Thanks Philtrum. That is the boat I was thinking of going after and almost all the info I could find out on the net. An unpopular model. Although with that said it seams Mad River never had any luck selling any design over 16 foot.

Alan you just made my decision that much harder. :( You sure you don't have a bad case of cabin fever and need to come down to Florida. We have the cure here. :cool: Prime spring paddling season just started. Selling me your Northstar could pay for the trip.

Alan you just made my decision that much harder. :( You sure you don't have a bad case of cabin fever and need to come down to Florida. We have the cure here. :cool: Prime spring paddling season just started. Selling me your Northstar could pay for the trip.

Wow that was smooth, I bet you could sell ice cubes to eskimoes. Good luck with boat buying. Dave

Back