• Happy National Bean Counter Day! 🫘🔢🧮

Hi from The Netherlands.

Reaction score
Hi, I found this site because I got some hits on my own website from this site! Have been tripping for many years of which twice in the US, back in 1990 on the Green River in Utah and this summer on the NFCT. We are thinking of maybe paddling the Noatak next summer with some German friends so I hope I can find some tips and advice on this forum. Even if we do not make there, I hope to find some new paddling destinations from this forum. We alternate between making trips close to home (Netherlands, Germany, France, Scandinavia) and far away like the US and Canada.

Paddler,
I have been to Nederland only once, but met great people everywhere. I really liked the tulip farmers in Haarlem that we met at an old brewery from the 1500s. You are the type of adventurous Europeans that are really fun to meet. On the Chilkoot Trail in Alaska half the travelers were from Europe. They had some different ways of traveling in the outdoors and all were good natured. There is a guy from Nederland in my service club that we call Dutch. I can listen to him tell stories in that beautiful accent for hours.

Welcome. We were alerted to your "very detailed and entertaining" website in a recent post under "American Trip Reports." I am most of the way through it. I enjoy and understand your European perspective on things, and I admire your style and grit whilst doing the entire NFCT. I hope to follow in your footsteps on the NFCT one of these years.

Hi, Welcome, I too have begun reading your nice trip write up, so far I just want to go to Old Forge and hang out!

No, it will take me a while to read, one section a night I would guess, nice tripping history you have, I whine about a 2 day drive to northwestern Ontario, you guys like to go places. Welcome and looking forward to hearing your thoughts on tripping and canoes.

There is a chain of Dutch bakeries around here that started in Bishop, CA south of here. Now there is one in Carson City. I had a friend years ago from Nederland that started is own cookie business. It was a special thing made in your country something like a sufwaffle. We drove down to Bishop with a trailer to buy a piece of equipment from the bakery there. The negotiations and the contract were in Dutch. That was a good day.

Thanks for the welcome. The Dutch cookie you are referring to is probably a "stroopwafel". I preferred the American cookies we ate this summer!

Back