• Happy "Killer Rabbit" Attacks President Carter in His Paddle Boat (1979)! 🚣🏼‍♂️🐇

Hi from Maine

Reaction score
I’ve appreciated the discussions here and decided to register (finally). Most of my canoeing has been on Maine rivers, but I’ve done some sea kayaking in SE Alaska and ran the Noatak a few years ago. A really long time ago I was an active climber, with expeditions in the Yukon, BC, Alaska, and Karakoram . Not so much any more, but I’ve done some long distance hiking and that informs my paddling.

After living abroad I found myself back in Maine and wanting a Grand Laker. My neighbor Offered his shop and skills and together we built 3 grand lakers, 2 sea kayaks, an 18’ guide canoe, and then most recently a skin on frame canoe. I also love my Old Town Penobscot 16 paddled either tandem or solo. So thanks for letting me join this group!

Good morning and welcome to the crew from the foothills of the Blue Ridge in North Carolina. It sounds like you've had a lot of experiences. I'm looking forward to your joining the conversations here.

Best regards to all

Lance

Welcome, lots of Mainers here, I’ll be one later this month (Appleton), and we have some square stern canoe folks too. Mines not a Grand Laker, more a 16’ wood canvas with. 2.5 kicker

Welcome, pull up a stump. Another Mainer here, mid coast near Rockland. Robin, Karin and I looked at a couple of houses in Appleton a couple of years ago.
Jim

Good Morning Keagriver.. Must have run that race a few times! We do like to canoe out of Bowdoinham from time to time! Not too far from us.

And Robin going to Appleton means that Liberty Tool will be soon picked over ; there are a ton of fantastic old hand tools there ! And the breweries there are excellent.. And Morses Sauerkraut..road trip soon.

Been thinking of a Grand Laker.. The one for sale here we were mulling over disappeared of course!

We too escaped from shoreline CT. We were coming to Maine ten times a year to run a kayak facility and the traffic was driving us batty.. So when a new job came up in Maine we moved within 8 days.

Last edited:
Welcome, Keagriver! I grew up every summer since age 5 on a lake in Maine and that's where I learned to canoe. It's the best place in the U.S. for paddling on plentiful lakes and rivers among mountains and also along a spectacular sea coast.

Robin, I didn't know that you are moving to Maine. Although I can think of several reasons for me to get out of Connecticut, just curious as what your reasons are.

Welcome Keagriver! I'm not in Maine, but am considering paddling the Noatak, so would be interested in your experiences. Glad to have you here.

I'm glad to know where Robin is moving to. I would miss you Robin, if you disappeared.

Welcome Keagriver! I'm not in Maine, but am considering paddling the Noatak, so would be interested in your experiences. Glad to have you here.

I'm glad to know where Robin is moving to. I would miss you Robin, if you disappeared.

Appleton is a great town. Our close friends at Appleton Creamery make wonderful goat cheese.

Erica, I’m happy to talk about the Noatak any time you like.

Good Morning Keagriver.. Must have run that race a few times! We do like to canoe out of Bowdoinham from time to time! Not too far from us.

And Robin going to Appleton means that Liberty Tool will be soon picked over ; there are a ton of fantastic old hand tools there ! And the breweries there are excellent.. And Morses Sauerkraut..road trip soon.

Been thinking of a Grand Laker.. The one for sale here we were mulling over disappeared of course!

We too escaped from shoreline CT. We were coming to Maine ten times a year to run a kayak facility and the traffic was driving us batty.. So when a new job came up in Maine we moved within 8 days.

yellowcanoe, if you are interested in Gil’s White Guide canoe you are welcome to see mine. You can make quite a list of mistakes to avoid!

Welcome, pull up a stump. Another Mainer here, mid coast near Rockland. Robin, Karin and I looked at a couple of houses in Appleton a couple of years ago.
Jim
Thanks! My wife and I spend a lot of time at her folks summer house in South Thomaston. It’s a great part of the world.

I bought my Snowtrekker tent from a guy I used to run Maine Island Trail monitor trips with who lived in Appleton... Will be nice to have Robin nearby. I need seats installed in a very important boat. And the skill set is beyond me.

Welcome, Keagriver! I grew up every summer since age 5....

Robin, I didn't know that you are moving to Maine. Although I can think of several reasons for me to get out of Connecticut, just curious as what your reasons are.

Hi Glenn, While Connecticut gets some poor reviews, we have found it to be a great and beautiful place to live, our two sons and five grandchildren are doing well here and we are sad to leave. Our Daughter lives nearby to where we are moving and we decided that binging close to her and her family was a good move, kind of a mother/daughter thing. Growing up on Long Island and a love of the ocean/shoreline also played into it. We are very excited to be making this move.

I bought my Snowtrekker tent from a guy I used to run Maine Island Trail monitor trips with who lived in Appleton... Will be nice to have Robin nearby. I need seats installed in a very important boat. And the skill set is beyond me.

Must be Sid Quarrier. I learned about power boats from Sid.

Hi Glenn, While Connecticut gets some poor reviews, we have found it to be a great and beautiful place to live, our two sons and five grandchildren are doing well here and we are sad to leave. Our Daughter lives nearby to where we are moving and we decided that binging close to her and her family was a good move, kind of a mother/daughter thing. Growing up on Long Island and a love of the ocean/shoreline also played into it. We are very excited to be making this move.

Sounds like a great move, Robin. Also sounds like you already have a lot of paddling friends up there. I am happy for you.

Back