• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Hi All

Reaction score
Hi, I am Kaine, I live in southeast Michigan. I have paddled many of Michigan's great rivers in both the upper and lower peninsula. My favorite being the Pine. I have been a kayaker for the last 12 years. I don't have much canoeing experience but I just got a Wenonah Argosy this summer, which i love. Most of paddling is weekend trips. I have plans to do some wilderness trips next spring.

Re: Hi All

Most places I have researched are not big compared to Minnesota or Ontario but seem like a good place for me to start. Big Island Lake Wilderness, Craig Lake State Park, Sylvania Wilderness, McCormick Wilderness are all located in the Upper Peninsula.

McCormick seems to be the most interesting and complicated to me. I can not find any trip reports or any info as to the last time someone paddled in there. I have spent a couple of trips hiking (most of my wilderness experiences have been from backpacking) around and found a cached canoe on the shore of White Deer Lake covered in moss with a pretty rusty chain and lock. It is also the headwaters of four rivers and it seems that I can paddle to most lakes with a few less than 3/4 mile portages.

Mind you I just got into canoe tripping so I have not experienced any of these places by canoe. So all of this information has been gained by pouring over maps and online aerial photos.

Scott, I am not sure where you are from or if you know about wilderness areas in the US, but they are trail-less and sign-less tracts. Some of the more used tracts like Sylvania are pretty regulated.

Back