• Happy Sea Serpent Day!

Hemlock SRT Solo Canoe Review

Reaction score
Thanks Conk and Glenn.

I like tripping on WW rivers, so the ability to shed waves while carrying a load is part of what's attracting me to the SRT. The depth and fullness of the SRT are very desirable features as far as I'm concerned.

As far as the round bottom goes, I'm not too worried about that. My current solo river tripping boat is a Nova Craft Super Nova, which also has a round bottom. I bought my Super Nova from a friend that didn't like it because he thought it was too tippy. I also have another friend that recently sold his Super Nova because he also thought it was too tippy. The relative lack of primary stability of the Super Nova doesn't really bother me because the secondary stability is so good. Perhaps it also has something to do with the fact that both of these friends are much taller than I am and carry their body weight much higher. I just don't like the 60+ lb weight of the Super Nova.

Glenn, I appreciate your comments regarding the durability of Hemlock's premium+ layup. That helps alleviate one of my main concerns with the SRT.

Reaction score
I ordered an SRT in late October and it was delivered two days ago (just ahead of the COVID-19) lockdown. I took it for a lap around my local lake yesterday. My initial impressions were favorable. I like the way it carves a turn when you heel it over. I was concerned about twitchiness when lightly loaded mentioned in many reviews, but the primary seemed on par with that of the Super Nova I'm used to paddling. I didn't test the limits of the secondary stability since the ice only recently went out and the air temperature was about 40 degrees, so I didn't want to risk going for a swim. As a bonus, I got to see numerous muskrats and ducks, a couple cranes, thousands of baby panfish, and a great blue heron rookery while out paddling.

I bought it primarily for solo river tripping. Hopefully I'll get to do that yet this summer, but for now it's back to extreme social distancing (i.e. just working around the house and going for walks in the local woods).

Attachments

• photo14659.jpg
    photo14659.jpg
    881.4 KB · Views: 18
Reaction score
Beautiful two tone!

I've had my SRT for nearly two years. Kevlar layup. I wanted a boat that was completely different from anything I owned previously. That is exactly what I found in the SRT. I use this for lakes almost exclusively.Mostly day trips so I've never had it loaded. I replaced the stock seat drops with a set of kneeling drops. I like my seat as high as I can get it. I also swapped the stock seat with a double contour for comfort. The confidence I have in this boat in all conditions is impressive. There is a definite learning curve,but once you get a feel for the hull and master your strokes the SRT is hard to beat. I use a 54 inch ZRE power curve 90 percent of the time and a 58 in ZRE ultra lite for windy conditions. The SRT is the perfect compliment to my Eagle.

Last edited: