• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Help ID this Mad River canoe please

Reaction score
This is something I am considering purchasing. The seller says it is 16’ long.
I am hoping it is a royalex Explorer, but I have been fooled before. I have a request for info in on Mad River’s help function of their website, but I’m not sure how responsive they are. Any help is appreciated.

128A8835-2F23-477E-949F-E06B752559FB.jpeg
9FC91A49-54EA-4F09-A3AC-F4E26F00362F.jpeg
477AAB2F-A86D-4B0D-AED8-4D01927E052F.jpeg
Bob

It looks more like a fiberglass hull. The Royalex Explorers don‘t have flotation foam in the bow and stern like that one. Also the material looks too thin to be Royalex.

I’d still buy it, that is if the price was within reason and the drive not that far. It looks in good shape and would make someone a nice canoe.
Here’s an old Mohawk that ended up being one of my best rebuilds, not because of finished product but the story behind it. A young man came by to look at the canoe with his grandfather. He said his uncle was willing to take him to the ADKs if he ever found a canoe. I got the impression that money was an issue and that he didn’t have a lot of support at home. He made an offer and I accepted it, I knew the canoe would have sold at the asking price but was happy to have it go to a good kid.
I always meet such nice people around canoes.

C1886143-C02B-4BE4-BFD8-101FF9DDF279.jpeg

Thanks Robin. Nice restoration on that Mohawk.

It’s a hike- 4 hours one way. It’s a fair price, but it would have to be free for that investment in time. I am on the search for a solo RX to take up to Maine this fall on a couple rocky rivers.

Bob

Definitely fiberglass, it's even the same inside paint color as my '89 FG Traveler (no after picture because it doesn't look as nice as Robin's Mohawk (;)).

img_20211125_104656454_hdr-jpg.128401

That's a good hull for someone who isn't isn't fussed about weight. I've been impressed with the durability of mine. Mad River Vermont era glory days.

Yep, that's a fiberglass explorer. I have a 1985 FG Explorer I bought in similar condition. I suspect it is a few inches narrower than the newer Royalex Explorers.

It's way stiffer than Roylex, so it paddles much better in flat water. Overall a better boat than I expected it to be.

The only real rub with these are the sloppy flotation. If the hull is in good shape it's probably worth cleaning up the top foam, filling it up, then putting a small fiberglass cover over it to keep the water out. Mine used to gain about 10 lb in water weight if she swamped.

Back