• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Hello from Northeastern CT

Reaction score
Hello all. Looking to connect with some like minded people. Most of my past tripping has been in the ADK. I would like to do some longer more remote trips.

Welcome from northwestern Connecticut. Unfortunately, my remote wilderness days are probably only in the rear view mirror at this point.

Welcome. Mathieu,
How long is longer to you?
How remote...like no trails, no campsites? Or ADK designated wilderness?
Can you carry? Would you carry? How far, is 5 miles too much?

The ADK is extremely beautiful, but I’d like to get more remote. Just got my passport, although I haven’t been to Canada since I was a boy. I have an ultra-light canoe, but prefer to lug my 76lb tformex barge. I trust it and there is no crying. Stripper guy, it sounds like you have something in mind. If you do I’d love to here more.

I've had an impractical ADK through trip rattling in my head for many, many years. The relatively recent NYS acquisitions of the Essex Chain Lakes makes the trip possible, but no more practical...Unless, a pair (or more) of paddlers were to start at opposite ends of the trip, passing along car keys at some midway point, to ease the car shuttle.
Here's one version: Rock Lake to some of the Rock River, a bit of a bushwhack to avoid the non navigable sections, rejoining the Rock at the confluence with Dun Brook. Down the Rock to the Chain Drain, up the Chain Drain and thence through the Chain Lakes and out. Sections of the Rock require carries, there are no trails, no paths. Of course, the other paddler (or group) starts from the Chain Lakes.
Not necessarily all that long, but parts of the Rock are very rarely paddled.

There's another version including the Cedar River, the Rock, and the Chain Lakes, but a good portion of the Cedar would be quite challenging for the upstream paddling person (or group).

Thanks Penns Woods! Stripperguy, I have visited the Gooley Club, but haven’t been since. Good memories there. Beautiful views. Never went up the Chain Drain. It looks awesome. Were you thinking light solos or a tandem?

Last edited:
I would likely be in my carbon copy Kite solo unless I can convince some others. If I end up with an even number then tandem, but my preference is solo paddling.

The ADK is extremely beautiful, but I’d like to get more remote. Just got my passport, although I haven’t been to Canada since I was a boy.

Hi, Welcome to the site. I used to live in northwestern Connecticut and I liked to go to LaVerendrye Reserve in Quebec. Fewer people than Algonquin, but both are great destinations. I went up thru Ottawa from Connecticut.

If you don't mind longer road trips northern Quebec or north western Ontario are pretty special. I really liked NW Ontario, lots of nice trip reports on this site.

There are some nice river trips here in Maine too, Allagash and St. Johns.

Thanks Robin. I’ve enjoyed reading some of your trip reports and watching your videos. I’m going to look into LaVerendrye Reserve. Have you ever paddled the quinebaug? That is my favorite local paddle.

Stripperguy - I did a little research last night. I happen to have the USGS 7.5x15 min quads for that area since I was looking to visit the Essex Chain again. Like you said not huge on mileage, but definitely an endeavor. If you decide you would like to give it a go, I might be interested depending on timeframe.

Thanks Robin. I’ve enjoyed reading some of your trip reports and watching your videos. I’m going to look into LaVerendrye Reserve. Have you ever paddled the quinebaug? That is my favorite local paddle.

Thanks, there are a few others here (Yellowcanoe and Gerald to name two) who are also knowlegeable about LaVerendrye, lots of great routes there.

I have never been to quinebaug, living in the nw corner of Connecticut I pretty much stayed in that area. I did here nice things about it though.

I lived in CT for 17 years and paddled some of the rivers there. We did do part of the Quinebaug once but darn if I remember which part; think it was near Putnam. It's always nice to have a back yard piece of water where you can watch the subtle turns of Nature.

I lived in CT for 17 years and paddled some of the rivers there. We did do part of the Quinebaug once but darn if I remember which part; think it was near Putnam. It's always nice to have a back yard piece of water where you can watch the subtle turns of Nature.
There are some nice quiet sections along it. You can almost forget you are in southern New England sometimes.

Back