• Happy 1st Showing of a Color Photograph (1861)! 📷🎥🏳️‍🌈

Hello from new member in central Illinois

Reaction score
New member...old paddler. Started paddling kayaks on rivers in the Highlands of Scotland in the '60s when I was a kid but after moving back to the States I knew I had to get into a canoe and have been paddling them ever since. Now am accused of being a collector since I have 3 Sawyers, 2 Mad Rivers, 1 Bell and my latest and oldest is a 1941 Old Town Guide that had been hanging in a barn for over 40 years 8 miles from my house. Always looking to learn from others.

Welcome aboard! Any pictures of your highland paddling days? We've seen pics from all over the States and Canada, and even Australia, but I don't recall any from Scotland.

I am new here, as well. Now living in northern Minnesota, I arrived here two years ago from Watseka, Illinois about mid-way between Kankakee and Champaign. You familiar with those towns?

Karl, I am familiar with your old towns and pass through Warba when I travel form my Northern Illinois home to my cabin in Beltrami Island State Forest. Quite a switch in scenery for you. Welcome

Karl, Just drove through Watseka last weekend... nice town...looks like something out of a novel about a quaint prairie town. Not much water to paddle there though! You made the move to northern MN that I've always dreamed of...hope you enjoy it there. I've been going to the Gunflint Trail area in the summer for over 40 years.

No Title

memaquay, Don't know if I can find any pix of my paddling days in Scotland...too many miles, moves and decades since then. However, here's a photo from May 2014 when I brought my 1941 Old Town Guide home after buying it. It has a 1958 sticker on it from Ontario, Canada.

Attachments

• photo1208.jpg
    photo1208.jpg
    322.2 KB · Views: 0
Welcome aboard Canoe3. Glad to have you along for the ride. Please, please, please, post pics of your fleet. We all love to see what others have.
Hope you have fun

Momentum

No Title

Momentum, Here are a few photos; 1981 Sawyer Cruiser and 2001 Bell Seliga Tripper.
I'll try to dig up some other photos...I have a 1978 Mad River Explorer (ABS), 1986 Mad River Lady Slipper (solo, fiberglass), 1989 Sawyer Cruiser 17'9' (Kevlar & wood), 1991 Sawyer Cruiser 18'6" (the big one) and the antique I bought earlier this year, 1941 Old Town (wood & canvas).
My 'home' river is the Mackinaw River in central Illinois which is the last remaining un-dammed river in this state. I'm fortunate to live less than 2 miles from this river which is relatively un-spoiled...for this state.
Canoe3

Attachments

• photo1226.jpg
    photo1226.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 1
  • photo1227.JPG
    photo1227.JPG
    209.8 KB · Views: 1
  • photo1228.JPG
    photo1228.JPG
    880.9 KB · Views: 1
  • photo1229.JPG