• Happy Scream Day! 😱

Hello from Iowa

vic

Reaction score
Been living and paddling in Iowa for almost 40 years. Grew up and learned to paddle in New York City.

Mostly paddle Iowa rivers but have been known to run into Ozarkpaddler and other P-Netters at the Spring and Fall Ozark Rendezvous (see the getting together board on P-Net for this year's info). Have also paddled a variety of other midwest rivers (St Croix, Wisconsin, Kickapoo, Namekagon, Niobrara, Snake in Nebraska, Cheyenne River in SoDak, etc.)

Also immensely enjoined paddling the Green River and San Juan River in Utah. Would love to do them again some day but with the lower San Juan silting in it will not be much longer before the take out a Clay Hills Crossing is no longer accessible. That would mean the last take out on the San Juan would be Mexican Hat, and in my opinion the best part of the San Juan is below Mexican Hat.

So, if you would like to do the San Juan and see a beautiful high desert, red rock river don't waste much time getting to it.

Re: Hello from Iowa

Hi Vic,

I grew up in Illinois. The Wisconsin was my first real canoe trip. Also did the St. Croix twice. But this was too many years ago for me to post the number. Have you seen them recently? How do you rate them now?

Thanks,
Erica

St. Croix

St. Croix

Erica:

Last time I was on the Wisconsin was two summers ago. We went from Muscoda to Bridgeport. River level was slightly high. Some of our usual camping sandbars were not available but really had to problem finding a sandbar to camp on with a comparatively large group. As you may know, this stretch of the Wisconsin is wide, doted with many islands, and pretty woodland covered bluffs along both banks.

Haven't done the St. Croix in a few years. Missed a chance this spring because of work. My St. Croix paddling consisted of day trips in the area where the Namekagon enters the St. Croix. One day on the Namekagon, one day started on the Namekagon and ended on the St. Croix, and one day solely on the St. Croix. I tend to enjoy smaller rivers more so the Namekagon paddles were my favorites. While as I mentioned I missed this years trip on the St. Croix and Namekagon, my friends who did go had nothing but praise for the St. Croix and Namekagon.

Re: Hello from Iowa

Thanks, Vic. It's good to remember these wonderful river experiences.
Erica

Back