• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

GRB Canoe question

Reaction score
hey folks, I have a 20 year old Classic XL which is a great canoe. However, i am thinking about adding to my fleet and noticed that GRB now sells a canoe called a "Legend". However, the website has virtually no information on the boat. Does anyone know anything about it? Weight? Width at waterline? Rocker? etc... Is there a more popular canoe that is very similar to use as a point of reference? Thanks!

I was strongly looking at the Legend last spring. A Yukon paddling partner of mine, a very petite fly weight lady has one and she likes it a lot. Gene Newman said he would have one for me to try at the Canton Canoe Races in May, but he did not bring one that day. Plus he has a one year wait time to build new. That's ok, I was told that the Legend was too small for me anyway. I already have a PB Rapidfire, which I like very much, but I was also looking at a swift Cruiser or a SR Blackwater. Bill Swift had a free demo in Saranac Lake at the end of May. After consulting with Charlie Wilson, who was also there, I tried the 15.8 Cruiser in all carbon and I liked it enough so I told Bill to build one to my color and high racing seat specs. He brought it directly to me at my home in northern NY just one month later on his way through with a huge load of boats going to distributors.

I have lusted for a PB Shadow to replace my first generation Rapidfire for several years. I have one of those on order too for a winter delivery date.

Last edited:
hey folks, I have a 20 year old Classic XL which is a great canoe. However, i am thinking about adding to my fleet and noticed that GRB now sells a canoe called a "Legend". However, the website has virtually no information on the boat. Does anyone know anything about it? Weight? Width at waterline? Rocker? etc... Is there a more popular canoe that is very similar to use as a point of reference? Thanks!
There is a lot of info on the "Latest News' tab of the GRB website, scroll down a little. I thought hard about it before I had him build my Rambler, he had a very attractive intro price.

yknpdlr

Thank you! I have a GRB XL, Northstar Magic and a Hemlock Kestrel. The Kestrel is my wife's canoe, but I use it when I want. I am selling the Magic (tomorrow I think). I had a Shadow for a year (bought it used and sold it) but I had a hard time dealing with the rocker (I couldn't keep it on a straight line). I am not a Yukon caliber paddler, but have done the 90-miler twice...in both a tandem and 4C. I will use the GRB XL if I ever race solo...so I am keeping it. I am looking for a good all-around canoe that fits me and my style. I have it narrowed down to Rapidfire, Oseetah, Cruiser 14.8, Trillium...and was curious about the Legend. For me, the Blackwater is redundant with the XL. Curious, how big are you? Or better asked, why is the Legend too small?

Charlie Wilson told me the Legend would be too small for me. Makes sense, since my very petite lightwight sometimes paddle partner feels it was built for her.

For years I have used my Rapidfire for training when my team was unable to get together. I have test paddled the Shadow and had no trouble with rocker. Since I always single blade paddle on one side for a long time I have not had any trouble keeping it (or my rapidfire) to a minimal 2-3 degree yaw on each stroke. Can't single blade race in in solo rec class and I dislike using a kayak paddle unless I am racing it and that is required by race rules. I have raced the RF a few times with success, especially when Joe is not racing in a Shadow. One thing about the Shadow, I firmly believe that Joe created that canoe to compete with (and to win against) all the older Rapidfires that he sold to people over several years. There was one memorable race where he and 4 of his shop workers made a five Shadow train, swapping leads frequently all the way down the lake. They completly blew away every Rapidfire and every other solo Rec canoe in that race class.

Last edited:
I was strongly looking at the Legend last spring. A Yukon paddling partner of mine, a very petite fly weight lady has one and she likes it a lot. Gene Newman said he would have one for me to try at the Canton Canoe Races in May, but he did not bring one that day. Plus he has a one year wait time to build new. That's ok, I was told that the Legend was too small for me anyway. I already have a PB Rapidfire, which I like very much, but I was also looking at a swift Cruiser or a SR Blackwater. Bill Swift had a free demo in Saranac Lake at the end of May. After consulting with Charlie Wilson, who was also there, I tried the 15.8 Cruiser in all carbon and I liked it enough so I told Bill to build one to my color and high racing seat specs. He brought it directly to me at my home in northern NY just one month later on his way through with a huge load of boats going to distributors.

I have lusted for a PB Shadow to replace my first generation Rapidfire for several years. I have one of those on order too for a winter delivery date.
Just picked up my Placid Shadow this weekend, love it!

Just picked up my Placid Shadow this weekend, love it!
I saw Joe at the 90 Miler last week. My Shadow is still on order. Joe is strongly trying to talk me out of my request for a high hung seat. I have test paddled the Shadow a couple of times and feel that even the highest floor mounted seat is just too low for good efficient fast single blade paddling. He says he has had to remove a couple of hung seats for customers who requsested them but could not keep the open side of the canoe above water. I have the standard highest floor mounted seat in my Rapidfire, and even have a couple of stacked gell cushions to elevate me a bit more, but it still feells like I could use more height.

I saw Joe at the 90 Miler last week. My Shadow is still on order. Joe is strongly trying to talk me out of my request for a high hung seat. I have test paddled the Shadow a couple of times and feel that even the highest floor mounted seat is just too low for good efficient fast single blade paddling. He says he has had to remove a couple of hung seats for customers who requsested them but could not keep the open side of the canoe above water. I have the standard highest floor mounted seat in my Rapidfire, and even have a couple of stacked gell cushions to elevate me a bit more, but it still feells like I could use more height.
I have the high seat in mine and find it very easy to paddle single blade, however I do agree with Joe on the hung seat. What about having Joe build the boat with out the seat? GRB sells their sliding seat in all carbon and I believe will custom make the base height to the paddlers preference. Something to consider?

Back