• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Grand Lake Seboeis, northern Maine

Reaction score
I spent 4 days in mid May at a drive in campsite on Grand Lake Seboeis in northern Maine, just northeast of Baxter State Park. It's not considered the North Maine Woods here so camping is free. Maine Atlas, page 57, D4.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0skulVdRTY&t=18s

My intentions where to paddle to one of the two "primitive" campsites on the lake but that pesky Maine wind was up when I got there so I just stayed at the drive in site for the duration. It was a very nice campsite and I saw no one else the 4 days I was there.

I set up my small wall tent and wood stove for a comfortable camp. It was before the black flies arrived so no worry there. I had treated a "painters tarp" with Thomsons Water Seal for my rain protection, it looks nice but didn't work.

DSC06033.JPG

I was able to get some fishing in between the wind and storms, the lake is loaded with good sized pickerel (the little pike pickerel, not walleyes) and some decent small mouth bass. The pickerel are fun to catch, annoying when your looking for small mouth bass. (see video)

As always, eating was a big part of the trip, have I mentioned I like to cook meals in my cold handle frying pan....always fun.

DSC06090.JPG

DSC06087.JPG

I brought my 16' Chestnut Cruiser, which has turned out to be a great solo canoe for me. It's narrower than a Prospector but has the same look, those ends are easy on the eyes.

DSC06042.JPG

Like I said, that painters tarp didn't work out so I went back to my old "Campmore" tarp when the rains came.

DSC06111.JPG

I saw this moose out by the road one morning,

DSC06116.JPG

A nice trip, I'll be going back soon to explore more of the lake.

Cooking breakfast for two, or are you just a hungry lad? Cooking well on trips is a skill I sadly lack. Coming from a lifelong lightweight backpacking background I hesitate to bring the heavy stuff necessary for high style cuisine! Although in the past on group Boy Scout trips as a staff member, I have carried a full sized dutch oven. Memorable meals include a sort of ham and cabbage 'pot roast', followed by baked apples, and finally with boys eagerly waiting in the dark, we popped loads of popcorn. We also commonly baked brownies in a flat pan within the dutch oven, supported by three similarly sized stones to provide a circulating air space under the batter so it wouldn't burn.

On my solo trips in the future I'm thinking of trying a Frybake pan, https://frybake.com. The 8" so-called deep alpine pan should serve as both fry pan and mini dutch oven.

That Cruiser photo is outstanding. May just serve as my desktop computer wallpaper for a while! Thanks for taking us along on your trips.

Pat

Painter tarps can be coated with PVC exterior latex paint to be used as floor mats. (Painted in patterns like old tyme cabin floor mats). I wonder how that might work for waterproof tarps? But this makes them impracticably stiff for folding. Rolling??
I really like the camp life. Wood stove heat. Basic bedding up off the ground. Cooking with fry pans. Coffee from a pot, not a space cadet contraption.
Living simple and proven.
Sweet Cruiser. She ought to have an internet following all on her own.
Thanks for this Robin.

Looks like a lot of fun! I just use a white poly tarp for my snowtrekker. Colour matches, looks like it was made for the tent. That is going to be a fine partridge hunting set up this fall. If you ever decide to get really decadent........in my ice tent this year, I got those interconnecting foam exercise mats. They are 18" square I think. I put a bunch of them together for a floor. They worked so good, I tried them out in my big eureka tent when i took my wife camping this spring. You can walk around in sock feet! I know it doesn't fit in with the canvas look, but it sure fits in with the glamping.

Lowangle Al said " Is it bigger then the boat you typically take?" Yes, it's that 16' Chestnut Cruiser I restored. sweeper gifted me an 18' Cruiser and I removed 5 ribs from the center to make it just under 16'. I can fit my wall tent outfit in my 15' Chum, but this is better for Maine's winds.

Patrick Corry said "Cooking breakfast for two, or are you just a hungry lad?" I like to eat a big breakfast, then skip a real lunch. You should have seen the slab bacon that went with those eggs...

Odyssey said "I really like the camp life. Wood stove heat. Basic bedding up off the ground. Cooking with fry pans. Coffee from a pot, not a space cadet contraption." Me too, it just feels right to me. I'm heading up to Moosehead lake for 3 days this week with two of my kids and family's, screen house, dragging tubes behind a 60 horse, gas heated girdles, a little different but a lot of fun.

Great trip report! I really appreciate the time you took to share it with us. I felt like I was right there with you.

I got to use your pole this week, it was great for getting around the rock bars there. Someone broke about 4 feet of it off, I found that section in the grassy area in the cove, but it still worked great....Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_7253.JPG
    IMG_7253.JPG
    273.9 KB · Views: 14
Back