• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

Got a bit of project...

Reaction score
A client dropped that yesterday and was asking If I could fix it... I said sure...
It is a Clipper Jenson 18 Stock that flew off the top of a trailer on the hwy.
What do you all think??

Attachments

• photo2135.jpg
    photo2135.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo2136.jpg
    photo2136.jpg
    301.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo2137.jpg
    photo2137.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo2138.jpg
    photo2138.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo2139.jpg
    photo2139.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 0
  • photo2140.jpg
    photo2140.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo2141.jpg
    photo2141.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo2142.jpg
    photo2142.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 0
You can do it !!!
I've seen worse !
A new set of gunnels are available from Northwest Canoe. They are reasonable, the shipping is the hard part. Maybe send Dennis a few photos, as they always have a repair going on.

Once the gunnels are off, I'd start with some S-glass, and epoxy. Maybe need some Kevlar, light stuff 5 or 6 oz. Some Kevlar felt. And some Gel coat.

Good project !

Keep us posted ! You know how we are :rolleyes:

Jim

Good luck! I've done similar repairs, but not that extensive. Most things will pop back out with a new set of gunwales, but it looks like there is quite a bit of damage to the hull, other than the bow. Got to ask yourself if it is worth it.

Eek!

Gunwales: Gone.
Stems: Look bad, but I expect that rebuilding them will be fairly straightforward, Except for that crease on the right side of photo 3.
I'll bet the trickiest bit is dealing with the de-laminations in the sides, where those thwart reinforcements go. Either somehow getting resin back in there, or putting in backup patches that cover the whole area without adding a ton of weight.

Looking forward to seeing how this one turns out.

Luke

Sure you can fix it. I crunched the nose on a Sawyer Charger once. After cutting away the bad Kevlar, epoxy, and fiberglass there was not much left. I used a can of spray foam backed by cardboard and duct tape to rebuild the contours and glassed over it. It worked fine for many years. New gunwales would help since aluminum has a lot of memory. I had a Sawyer Cruiser that was wrapped, but I did not replace the gunwales, just straightened them. It was a little wavy, but you had to sight down the boat from the end to really see them.

The Jensen designed boats are worth saving. This one is going to get some work done to it, so it would be a candidate for a paint job when all is said and done. It may never be a really pretty boat ever again, but it will still be fast and serviceable. Living in a remote pace like you do, I would fix it. You can have the satisfaction of knowing that you kept another boat out of a landfill.

Hey Thank you you guys for the encouragement! The gunnels are already here, the Clipper Dealer here in town always have them on hand.

As for the question of , is it worth it, I ask them, and told them of what I thought it would take me and the price I charge by the hours and she said that she wanted fixed for a bitter boat. They have other boats, a few of them, like a Savage river Susquehanna...

Anyway, don't hold your breath on a report since I'll be gone all summer and I told them that I might get to it in august, but I will for sure put some photos of the progress!!

Keep the suggestions coming or even better some pictures!!

Cheers

I agree with everyone here. You can do it. The thwarts and seats look in good shape, just the gunnels and shell to play with. It's nice having a dealer right there in town. No shipping worries. Take your time and enjoy it. It'll make a good loaner for family and friends.
I only see one problem though Canotrouge...isn't it the wrong colour? ;)

I agree with everyone here. You can do it. The thwarts and seats look in good shape, just the gunnels and shell to play with. It's nice having a dealer right there in town. No shipping worries. Take your time and enjoy it. It'll make a good loaner for family and friends.
I only see one problem though Canotrouge...isn't it the wrong colour? ;)

It is the wrong colour.... But it is not mine, I'm just working on it for the clients... Not my type of canoes, even if I use to paddle one a lot in the past.

Cheers

We had an 18 foot Jensen in duralite. It was an older boat but we have some grand times with it and yeah, it was fast. Fragile though too, and we spent a fair amount of time doing field repairs to it. In the end we prettied it up and sold it because it was a bit too big and heavy for us.

This one looks relatively easy to fix. Lose the gunnels and it will reform its shape no problem. A bit of glass, some grinding, new paint, eh voila...it will be all better.

Christy

I like the way people think around here.
Use canoes and they are going to get beat up eventually. Most of it can be fixed. I have rarely bought any new canoes in my career, and have frequently done serious repairs. I actually prefer boats that do not look new, because I don't cringe when they get some more wear on them.

Back