• Happy Midnight Ride of Paul Revere (1775)! ⛪🕯️🕛🏇🏼

Glad to be here

Reaction score
Greetings, all, from northern Vermont. Just found this place recently, and I'm liking it. Mostly paddle solo, day trips, here in Vermont, and over in the Adirondacks (my previous home for 20 years). Had a long layoff from paddling when I moved over here, and was limited paddling with a partner, or solo in the Malecite. The call grew strong, and in a burst of desire drove 4 hours to my friends at Raquette River Outfitters looking for a solo, and came home with a Magic. Last season was a good one, and I hope this one will be as good, or better. And looking forward to learning and sharing here with you folks. It's good.

I lived in a small hamlet outside of Plattsburgh; often paddled the Saranac Lake are, St. Regis ponds, Saranac River, Lake Champlain, and several smaller and less known spots in my area. Here in VT my favorite is Green River Reservoir, though it's VERY popular, and I avoid weekends. Groton State Forest has some nice small ponds. Somerset reservoir is quite nice, but a long drive for me. And again, there are some small waters nearby where I can get out for an hour or two. I have a strong preference for heading to places that don't allow power boats.

Welcome! Karen and I also enjoy Green River reservoir, but we're careful about when we go.

Welcome to the campfire. I used to live in Saranac Lake, my daughter still does. She was out paddling this past weekend and saw a big pike in the shallows. We live on the coast of Maine now and miss the Adk’s but loving it here. Is Rob F still involved with Raquette River outfitters? I haven’t seen him in years.
if you head to Maine let me know.
Jim

Hi Jim, and thanks for the hello. I like it here, but missing the Adirondacks; Saranac Lake is probably my favorite town anywhere, and I think about relocating to there if I can swing it. Harder at my age.seems like more each year. Rob is still the heart of RRO, with his long time partner Anne, they're both the owners. I don't know the details, but Rob had a health struggle about 10 years ago; he seemed well when I saw him last year.

Glad to hear he an Anne are doing well. Yes he battled cancer about 24 years ago, my how time flies. He was way behind on some of his Guideboat repairs and I helped him out so he didn’t lose his very patient customers.
Jim

Yup, Rob needed some major surgery around 2010. Just spoke with Anne this morning, and they're doing OK; called about a boat but we always check in about life. Very fine of you to have helped Rob. Might you be Jim S? We may have been acquainted in our backcountry skiing days. I worked at Cascade for four years, and at the Mountaineer before that.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard.

I've stopped in at Raquette River Outfitters several times over the years. Always personable, interesting shop, guideboats, and canoe stuff.

Back