• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Glad to be aboard

Reaction score
Hello good folks. I've been a long-term lurker here, enjoying the collective wisdom of old threads and thought I would finally take the plunge. I'm originally from Mississippi as my handle shows and grew up paddling every form of still muddy water. As a child, my first craft was an abandoned jon boat powered with a broken canoe paddle. Like many, I was introduced to canoeing in Scouts while earning the Canoeing merit badge. Once in college, I graduated to multi-day tripping on Ozark rivers which I've enjoyed since. I now live in middle Tennessee and, having easier access to the southern Appalachians, am interested in developing my nascent whitewater skills.

I'll apologize in advance as I won't be able to offer much to the body of knowledge here. Even with my years on the water, I'm just an experienced beginner when it comes to technique though I have aspirations to become a more technical canoeist.

Thanks for providing a canoe-oriented forum!

As you realized, this is a great place for information. Take all you need from a diverse bunch of old grizzled gezzers and new high tech kids. I had been a lurker for a long time prior to joining. Very glad I did, as I have made many great friendships over the years. As Jim said above, welcome to the campfire, get your cup out of your pack, we will pour something into it that you will really like.

Hello good folks. I've been a long-term lurker here, enjoying the collective wisdom of old threads and thought I would finally take the plunge.

MM, welcome to site membership! Feel free to ask any questions and to post messages, photos and videos, and to start threads, in our many forums. Please read Welcome to CanoeTripping and Site Rules! Also, please add your location to your profile, which will cause it to show under your avatar, as this is a geographic sport. We look forward to your participation in our canoe community.

am interested in developing my nascent whitewater skills.

The best, fastest and safest way to develop whitewater canoe expertise is to take instruction from a group (such as ACA), or school (such as NOC) or club that offers it. The basic skills to learn are eddy turns, peel outs, back ferries, upstream ferries, and cross-forward strokes. This all takes on-water practice in ever more difficult waters, as you increase your experience in reading the river, and with rescue boats at hand.

MM, welcome to site membership! Feel free to ask any questions and to post messages, photos and videos, and to start threads, in our many forums. Please read Welcome to CanoeTripping and Site Rules! Also, please add your location to your profile, which will cause it to show under your avatar, as this is a geographic sport. We look forward to your participation in our canoe community.

The best, fastest and safest way to develop whitewater canoe expertise is to take instruction from a group (such as ACA), or school (such as NOC) or club that offers it. The basic skills to learn are eddy turns, peel outs, back ferries, upstream ferries, and cross-forward strokes. This all takes on-water practice in ever more difficult waters, as you increase your experience in reading the river, and with rescue boats at hand.
Thanks so much. In fact, I recently did two days of private instruction at NOC. After practicing for the remainder of the year, I hope to return to the Nanty (along with the Tuck and maybe the Little Tennessee) next spring to test my improvement. If I'm lucky with weather and a free weekend, maybe I can catch the Hiwassee at the end of this season for some practice as well.

Welcome from east Tn MM. I've been a beginner for about 20 years now. I hang out here because these people seem like a great bunch. I'm sure you'll like it here on this site, and hopefully what TN has to offer for canoeing.
Roy

Back