• Happy National Bean Counter Day! 🫘🔢🧮

Flaky epoxy

I reached out to NS and they, as always, had some good information for me. They also mentioned that it does not look like the same stuff (vinylester) that they use.

So this morning, I ordered the correct vinylester from North Star. Today and a few hours last weekend, I started to prep it for the new coating. The flakes were getting real bad, to the point where the wind would blow some off just sitting on the rack. Not exactly something I’d like to add into our waterways or wilderness. I’ve been scraping and “popping” the air bubbles and chips then sanding the edges and surrounding areas. I know that applying a new coating will cover that up, but I hope is that removing as much air and flaking will help in preventing this in the future.

Attachments

• IMG_7652.jpeg
    IMG_7652.jpeg
    218 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_7650.jpeg
    IMG_7650.jpeg
    212.1 KB · Views: 12
Vinyl ester is the resin of choice, for most Factory canoes.
Plain and simple bonding issues.

Good luck this time !

Jim

After finally finding some free time, I got busy with this hull redo/repair. I chipped, scraped and sanded off As Much as I possibly could. I’d spend a little time here n there after work or while grilling some food and remove what I could. I read through this post, other posts and what information Northstar had sent over with the new vinylester. Rolled and tipped solo, and I think I did ok

However, I do have a new question. In the last photo, my finger is pointing to an old scratch, and there’s a few throughout. Not concerned with the scratches, or being able to see them. But, I can feel little pokes from the raised fiber when I run my hand along it. Can I lightly sand with a high grit to remove those sharp pieces? SHOULD I use a high grit to sand the hull as a final touch sort of thing? Or do I need to do another coat sanding or not?

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Sanding Kevlar, creates "Fuzz"
To the left of your finger, looks like puddles ?
Scrape first, then sand.
Recoat with resin that you used on the rest of the hull.
You may try wrapping with plastic, to compress the fuzzy spots with plastic wrap.
Let the resin cure.

Not a puddle, previous epoxy I couldn’t remove. Well, yes I could’ve, it would have taken hours. It was very thick in some areas, thin in others. The thick parts would only chip off small pieces at a time. I sanded the most I could, but did a little less on those edges being afraid I’d go too far into the cloth. So it didn’t come out as smooth in those areas, where the rest of the canoe turned out better.

Ps, thanks to everyone on here who gives all of us tips and insight. Good conversations and laughs. Always appreciated.

Back