• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Flagstaff Lake, Maine, 5 days solo

Reaction score
Driving the logging roads around Flagstaff, looking for a put in and place to leave my truck,

So I find a nice beach site after searching for the better part of the first day, it was a real pretty site with a mountain range across the lake. I set up my 6x7 wall tent and set up the wood stove for the morning chill, overnight temps where down into the low 30's so why not enjoy a nice warm tent in the am,

I planned on paddling down the 18 mile lake the next morning, looking for a newcampsite, but that evening I had some company, a couple of local guys showed up and parked nearby. I realized my quiet cmpsite was more popular than I thought and I had second thoughts of leaving my truck parked alone overnight. Maybe over reacting, but sometimes it pays to be a little cautious. So, I camped there in place for the next 4 nights and paddled the lake during the excellent bluebird weather, every evening someone drove in to the end of the logging road so I was happy that I had decided to stay with the truck this trip.

Every morning I had a nice breakfast over the wood stove before heading out for the day,

The lake was very low for this time of year and there where great beaches for walking,

The weather was great all week, the ice had gone out only days earlier and the water was very cold. I tried many different lures, but the brook trout and land locked salmon just wouldn't bite.

One morning I enjoyed seeing a small airplane low level up the lake

I explored the shorline and found some snow still hanging in there in the shaded southern shores,

A nice trip in really warm and calm weather for early May in Maine.

Thanks for the TR. We're still getting pummeled with snow which started Wednesday and there's still a foot of ice on the local lakes, but soon...

It looks like it was a calm and serene trip Robin, thanks for sharing it. I especially love the sandy lakeshore photos. I could rest awhile there, with a cup of joe all day.
Were the nights clear and crisp? That’s a beautiful tent. Thanks again.

Nice pictures Robin.
Excellent job down sizing your tent and stove too!

Thanks Hogan, sorry about the weather in the northern border states, must be frustrating waiting for the ice to go out. Soon I would hope.

Brad, Yes, it was a relaxing trip, except for that paddle across the mile wide section when the wind started to kick up, water was super cold. The nights went down to the low 30's F, with a nice clear waning moon. As soon as I lit the stove in the morning, the mosquitoes that had gathered inside the peek of my tent came to life with the warmth.

Thanks Dennis, I liked your tent so much, I tried to model it after it. When the tent was an 8x10 with a 6'6" ridge, it weighed a ton and was tough to set up using hard to find downed poles, plus the stove jack was thru the roof.
Now, with my lite weight pole set it sets up fast and it fit's in a #3 Duluth Pack with extras.

Really like the looks of your wall tent! What is that silver tape (?) you used where the stove pipe goes thru the wall? I'm guessing it reflects the heat away from the canvas? Is it something special or just duck tape?
Maybe the fish will develop an appetite once the water warms up. I wonder what the threshold temperature is for fish activity? Can imagine them down in the bottom doing a sort of fishy hibernation and then waking up and being really hungry. Something like the bears in the spring.
Did you ever figure out what the locals were doing there? Did they camp or was it just a short stop? I think you did right sticking around your truck. I believe in being careful.

Glad you had a good time, Rob

Thanks for the report Robin! Great to see your W/C canoe back on the water. With such a cozy tent I wouldn't have left the site either.

Really like the looks of your wall tent! What is that silver tape (?) you used where the stove pipe goes thru the wall? I'm guessing it reflects the heat away from the canvas? Is it something special or just duck tape?
Maybe the fish will develop an appetite once the water warms up. I wonder what the threshold temperature is for fish activity? Can imagine them down in the bottom doing a sort of fishy hibernation and then waking up and being really hungry. Something like the bears in the spring.
Did you ever figure out what the locals were doing there? Did they camp or was it just a short stop? I think you did right sticking around your truck. I believe in being careful.

Glad you had a good time, Rob

Hi Oldie,
That's called a "stove jack", it's made from some sort of fireproof material that prevents the canvas from catching fire when the stove pipe gets real hot. Originally the stove jack was up through the roof but when I cut the tent down, I moved it to the front so the sparks and embers don't land on the roof and burn a hole.

The folks who showed up at the spot I was camped at where a mixed bag, some older guys with an old dog and both took a nice walk down the beach, others where in 4x4's and they had a little evening party down the beach. I guess my spot is a popular spot on the lake and since I didn't find any other access, I made the best of it. I saw no other boaters on the lake the 5 days I was there.

Back