• Happy Star Wars Day! 🌇🚶🏼‍,👑👊🏼🔙

Fixed up my first canoe.

Reaction score
She leaked and was so ugly, but I really wanted to fix up my little canoe. It turned into more of a project than I anticipated but I'm satisfied with the end result. Now she's ready for adventure!

I plan on duck hunting out of it, so a camo pattern was the way to go.

I like the camo paint job, especially the cross hatched rip stop looking effect. Did you overlay some mesh material before spray painting?

Cool look, kinda like lace on a hot rod.

I enjoyed using my OT Pack as my duckhunting craft. It was light enough that I could drag it through the marsh to potholes well off the river that folks in johnboats couldn’t reach. There be the ducks, especially after the shooting started elsewhere and the birds took flight ISO safer refuge.

I didn’t paint the already green hull, but I did make a partial spray cover in camo, with an arched front cowling so decoys and gear were accessible, with a gun rest for my shotgun built onto the front thwart. One simple to make waterfowling accessory was something I called my BrushBob Holder.

That was a simple T of 1x1’s, painted green, swiss cheese drilled with vertical holes and fixed to the bow deck plate. I would fill the drilled holes with local vegetation, spartina grass back in the marsh or pin oak branches in the forest (pin oaks keep most of their leaves through the winter) and have a floating semi-blind.

The T was bolted together and with I part fixed to the bow along the keel line. I could angle the brush filled sideways bar by adjusting it with my paddle

Just having that loose \ \ \ I / / / splay of vegetation above the bow seemed hidden helpful.

Some of my most memorable interactions with the DNR were having the officers as interested in my sneakboating rig as they were in checking my license or game bag. I was always kinda proud of that.

I’m still not sure how I feel about the shuttle drivers at Texs Riverways referring to my tripping canoe as “The Inspector Gadget Boat”

Back