• Happy Birthday, William Shakespeare (1564-1616)! 2️⃣🅱️, 🚫2️⃣🅱️

First Trip Thoughts: Algonquin Provincial Park

Reaction score
Just finished my first-ever canoe trip: four-days, starting from the very popular Canoe Lake access point, the Sunday after the Labor Day holiday. The weather forecast was consistent sunshine and warmer than normal temperatures with light winds for the entire trip. The forecast was accurate except for the wind on the last two days which kicked up to what I'll describe as a strong breeze, steady 10-12 mph at a guess, during the middle of both days.

I reserved my backcountry permit online which was easy to do. I then had to pick up the actual paper at the access point permit office which was also easy to do. I arrived mid-afternoon and was able to get my permit and get out of the office within five minutes.

As may be expected, there were lots of "day trippers" in rentals on Canoe Lake and these thinned out markedly as soon as I got out of sight of the rental store around a bend in the lake. There was only one powerboat on Canoe Lake which was small and so was its wake. Of note, three people speaking with a British accent flipped their canoe about 50 feet from me less than 10 minutes after I set off. I stayed with them while they swam the canoe to the nearby shore and got refloated.

I've watched a lot of Youtube videos about canoe trips, especially in Algonquin, and the first portage was as expected -- easy, flat, and dry. The shore at both ends was a gently sloping sandy bank with only a few boulders that were easily avoided. I just counted, and I had a total of 13 portages on this trip. At a guess, about 1/3 of them had conditions like this at the take-out/put-in point. The second third, though, were all granite and required a bit of care if you wanted to protect the finish of your boat. The final third were steep-sided roots/boulders right to the waters edge with no possibility of entering or exiting the canoe without stepping fully into water that was anywhere from ankle to shin deep. I found it was best to just plan on having wet shoes/feet during the day while traveling.

The portages themselves were a similar story. Perhaps not surprisingly, people only tend to video/photograph when it's easy and convenient to have their cameras out. As a consequence, videos showing portages that are muddy in places do exist, but I don't remember seeing any videos of the somewhat treacherous muddy, steep-sloped, rock gardens I encountered. Sticking with the 1/3 divisions, I'd guess that 1/3 of my portages were relatively easy, flattish, with only a bit of easily avoided mud. The second 1/3 was rolling small slopes but with significant mud sections and/or rock gardens and/or muddy rock gardens. (I define "rock garden" as a spot with extensive large rocks, 10 to 30 inches across, spaced closely together.) The final 1/3 of the portages were unlike anything I had seen in the videos -- steep, slippery, muddy slopes with extensive boulders and hull-cracking rocks. These were, of course, manageable, but they take much more care and more time to get through safely. More than once, I had the thought that if I slipped and dropped the canoe on to one of these rocks, I could cause some serious hull damage.

My first camp was on the East Arm of Joe Lake, which is easily reached from the access point. The first campsite I checked had flies buzzing around and two beer bottles stuck on the upturned branches of a pine tree. The second campsite, directly across from the first, was in much better shape but someone had left an old pair of shorts there. On a positive note, there was an excellent food-bag bear cable hang system someone had created and left in place -- nice stout rope with strong steel hook and an excellent pulley at the top. On the way out, I stopped and checked a couple of campsites on the also easily accessed Littledoe Lake and these too showed evidence of heavy use and careless campers. I am inclined to conclude that the campsites that do not require significant portages are likely to be heavily used and perhaps of poor quality in Algonquin.

My second camp was idyllic and one of the main reasons I went to Algonquin in the first place. It was on the eastern point of an island in Little Otterslide lake. I had the entire lake all to myself, the campsite was largish with plenty of flat ground for my tent and was not "trashed". There was also a handy bushcraft shelf built between two nearby trees that I made good use of.

Camp number three was on Sunbeam lake and it looked like what you'd see on a post card picture with islands of various sizes in the middle of gorgeous stretches of water surrounded by magnificent northern forest. That aspect was awesome. The two large groups of guys, yelling across the water at each other, shouting loudly, and just in general being young and having fun, simply did not fit in with the scenery. Fortunately, they weren't always loud and they quieted right after sunset. Flat space for the tent in this location, though, was just barely adequate. This was also true in other sites I saw and I strongly suspect that sites with significant flat tent space may be in high demand.

As for wildlife, Algonquin did not disappoint. I saw a cow moose from about 100 feet away, saw a bear stick its head out of its den from about 50 feet away, heard numerous loons, and even a lone wolf howling. There was also a baby beaver.

Jim

Welcome to the wonderful world of wilderness canoe camping. glad you enjoyed it. My first two canoe trip/camps were there. I had similar experiences to you. A lovely place, but flawed. I now canoe camp in the ADKs.

Nice area of Algonquin.. I still get back there now and then in June or September. I never have made reservations and haven't had any problems whatsoever in 53 years on and off tripping there.

Algonquin is popular and crowded at times, and in places... Canoe to Joe is on one of the most popular routes, aka the Canoe-Brent highway. Other areas of the park will be less crowded after Labor Day, eg. Smoke to Louisa loop, very quiet & we didn't see anybody else for four days. Same time of year, right after LD.

Also, canoe routes take up only a small portion of the total park area, less than ten percent for sure. If you want to go off on a side trip off the official route somewhere, chances are you won't see anyone else. Loggers and timber cruisers, maybe... and maybe hunters in the east half after T-giving, but they'll be on the bush roads.

I did the same trip this year with my wife it was her first canoe I was there
Aug 18 to 24th we spent 4 day in canoe lake then 3 nights camping in the park.
This was my first trip to Canada and that had its own issue No Pocket knives, multi tool ok,
No dehydrated food unless in original packaging and other stuff. Also do not take side trips to
the local Walmart is you are not in the city even though it is only 14 miles the speed limits
are low(being from the US I am not speeding ) one such trip took us 2 hours)
The food there is very expensive eggs 3.49 a dozen I usually pay $0.69 to $1.19 a dozen
and food select there was not much. Then in the park the food is even more expense luckly
for the 25% discount(US-Canada dollar now )
The first day was not bad we were over pack and I was planning double portage and my wife was not complaining she was nervous we had
a little trouble finding the inlet to Tom Thomson lake I had the GPS coordinates mapped but the inlet did not look right it looked like it ended so we went past then came back.

The second day it rained all day heavy rain Unkown pond had dried up a so we had to walk around that. There was a little water way in the pond that I was able to paddle the canoe empty across the pond the water as about a foot deep the last 50 feet had to trapse through some mud but not bad.
Now my wife was really mad at me. The next portage I was carrying the canoe and went down in
the mud and I knew I did not break my ankle but it was hurt really bad. I just layed in the mud waiting for the throbbing to stop. I finally got up and we had one more portage after that until we got to sunbeam lake that night. I set up camp very slowly could hardly
move leg was stiffening up took ibuprophine and went to bed

The Third day we had 4 more portage to Burnt Island lake I carried canoe first now I knew my wife could always carry pack if needed.
I believe it was the Portage to Burnt Island Lake there was a steep part then mud I was again carring the canoe and I went down again this time the ground gave way from the rain the day before I then tried to get up and the ground would just not support me and the canoe. I just kept falling down after the third time. I said the heck with it and just dragged the canoe in the water and mud until I reached a log bridge I was then able to carry the canoe the last few hundred feet to the lake. We got to the campsite that night right on a point it looked liked someones weekend getaway they had make a nice "Park bench" by the water and had logs all around the fire pit

The Fourth we lucked out and were able to skip the 435 m portage between baby Joe and Lost Joe Lake the stream to the left of the lake had enough water to walk float down. Then the 20/165 was flooded also. When we got to Canoe lake the wind started to pick up and we had some 1-2 foot swells plus we were going into a head wind. This made my wife very nervous. It took us around 2 hours to cross Canoe lake. We then had lunch at the Portage store I got a nice burger some fries and pepsi then a ice cream I shouldn't have because that night at my gout flair and my foot just kept swelling all night.
The Fifth day we went to Huntville to get some stuff for my foot Cherry juice and Lime juice. It rained like a monsoon all day. I was glad I was not paddling that day. Some of the roads actually washed out between Huntville and the park luckly we made it back before then.
The 6th day we went to the visiters center ,logging museum foot was somewhat better.
The 7th day we pack up to go to Niagra Fall with a side trip to the Canadian Canoe museum very cool we spent over 2 hours there. We got to Niagra falls around 6 that night We stayed in a Bed and Breakfast on the Canadian side. The next day we did the the boat,behind the falls ,Omni theater, and Niagra Gorge.I am looking at the Gorge looking for line to run it lol
My wife said she would do it again but less portages

Back