• Happy National Bugs Bunny Day (1938)!❓⬆️👨🏼‍⚕️

Esquif Announces New Scout Tandem for 2023

Glenn MacGrady

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
"Made of Esquif’s T-Formex plastic, the Scout is 14 feet, six inches long, 39 inches wide and weighs just 59 pounds. The Scout is a manageable, shorter tandem intended to be predictable and easy to both paddle and get on and off the car."

My first impulse was to make a bathtub joke. But last fall I saw a couple camping out of a Pelican with similar dimensions. I thought "they paddled that thing out here?" But they looked happy, and their young kid was enjoying the trip.

Most of the other paddlers I see are on sub-14 ft sit-on-tops. So there is clearly a big market for these, and lots of people enjoying them.

I'm not sure what market they are aiming at with that tub. Esquif makes good canoes, but a canoe in those dimensions is not going to appeal to their regular market, and the people who normally buy stuff like that are more used to Walmart prices, not Esquif prices.

It's easy to find compromises with that canoe but the corresponding benefits add up to a stable, high capacity canoe for newcomers to the sport. It's not a bad weight either. At less than half the price of a high end composite it looks like an OK starter canoe without being entry level in quality. I bet kids would have a blast messing around with that boat at the lake.

Tandem version of the Adirondack. Wouldn't want to trip long distances with many portages but day tripping especially with kids in the Adirondacks, fishing, seems likely to have a market.

"Made of Esquif’s T-Formex plastic, the Scout is 14 feet, six inches long, 39 inches wide and weighs just 59 pounds. The Scout is a manageable, shorter tandem intended to be predictable and easy to both paddle and get on and off the car."

I have two Esquif touring canoes. This one looks like a fishing boat or a good boat for taking your lab out for a paddle.
Not something I'd buy.

I did not just watch the intro video, so hopefully I am not saying the same thing - but a short / wide boat I would think would draw very little water; perhaps this is ideal for hunters or trappers trying to get into skinny, shallow creeks?

Back