• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Dynel Sleeve on the V

Reaction score
I have a MR Malecite from 92 which I bought used in 2002 and it was pretty hard to look at back then. Of course I used it hard, rode hard put away wet story, so it was finally time to bring it into the shop for a much needed rebuild. Without going into a lot of detail about certain parts of the rebuild I replaced the gunwales, thwarts and rebuilt the seats. What was left was the V on the hull which was worn through in many spots and despite some early attempts at patches it was just plain fugely!

So now come's along Dynel Sleeve, thanks Mr. McCrea and I purchase some...OK...14 yards of it from Sweets Composites! Yup, that's a lot but the price was cheap!

Yup, for the price I order 14 yards...something like 40 feet or so. Maybe overkill but for the price and knowing I'll be using it for other stuff, yeah well worth it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4378.JPG Views:	0 Size:	262.4 KB ID:	113665 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4374.JPG Views:	0 Size:	187.7 KB ID:	113664
The smaller section is 16'6" which what I needed to cover the V. Doesn't look like much!

So this is what I was trying to cover although I had done previous attempts with Carbon Fiber and Dynel cloth from years ago and then just going into denial about the condition of the bottom for a few years...yeah, I'm sure none of you have done that!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4355.JPG Views:	0 Size:	312.3 KB ID:	113666

This is just one section and some of the stem areas were much worse. I'm not kind to my boats and use them hard but in later years have taken to taking care of them so they last long enough for me to buried in at least one by Gawd or at least a Viking funeral!

So after spending more time than I wanted to spend taping and hanging newspaper for the drips I know are coming because I'm a sloppy boat repairer I got down to it. I wrapped the Dynel Sleeve around a popsicle stick so I could do a section at time brushing out a 2-3" section of resin and then lining the sleeve onto it and then top coating it with more resin...ummm...a lot and then moving on to the next section until I got to the ends where the stems were and stopped there.

Using a roller I babysat for about 3 + hours to get the air out and the edges down as smooth as I could. Do you know how many beers this takes? I do! The curve of the stems would be a separate step for the next day.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4363.JPG Views:	0 Size:	255.3 KB ID:	113667
I had to cut the peel ply into sections and applied it as I did a section at a time. Since I'm used West System 105/206 mix I did have a longer working time so wasn't too worried about the resin setting up before I finished.

Another view.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4361.JPG Views:	0 Size:	218.5 KB ID:	113668

This picture is from the next day as I pulled the peel ply. Now speaking of that I have heard fairy tales about a peel ply tape. If that even exists and someone knows about it I would gladly buy them a steak dinner and a case of their favorite beer for that knowledge. I love peel ply for what it does but hate and I do mean hate cutting the dang stuff!

I'll add the next part soon on this process but will say for what I'm doing this Dynel Sleeve fit the bill to a T. Oh, and as a disclaimer I have never attempted this before but I'm pleased to say it did turn out better than I expected!

Doug

Last edited:
I have heard fairy tales about a peel ply tape. If that even exists and someone knows about it I would gladly buy them a steak dinner and a case of their favorite beer for that knowledge.

I know nothing about peel ply, but here are some quick finds:

-- Dacron peel ply tape in various widths -- 1", 2", 3", 4", 6" -- with either smooth or pinked edges. Note that some of the older reviews complained about the lack of selvage edge causing loose strands. Newer reviews don't mention that complaint.

-- Polyester peel ply tape in 1" width. Scroll down page.

-- West Systems Episize Peel Ply tape in 50 mm (2") and 100 mm (4") widths, "a finely woven fabric treated with a release agent to which epoxy will not bond." This is a UK website, but I'd think the product is available somewhere in the U.S.

I'd be interested to see what happens to that Dynel strip on the V bottom after running a few ledges on the Pemi or Swift.

I’ve been looking for release treated peel ply tape for a couple years now. I guess I should have asked Glenn.

I use various glass and kevlar/Twaron tapes, and now Dynel sleeve, most in the 2” wide range, occasionally 3” wide E-glass tape. Having a roll of 4” wide peel ply that I need only cut to length would greatly simplify those epoxy, fabric tape and peel ply jobs.

The Composite Store polyester peel ply tape (V245) is only available in 1” wide. Nix that one.

The West System 874-100, 4” wide x 100 meter rolls (328 freaking feet! More than a lifetime supply) is not carried by West System in the US, as confirmed by a long phone conversation with a very helpful West tech services rep; the closest thing they have in the US is 9” wide peel ply. Gotta love West System customer service, but nix that one too.

From Aircraft Spruce and Specialty a 50 yard roll of 4” wide Dacron 09-15300 smooth edge runs $24.80. I did read the review complaints about some folks difficulties with frayed edges, but I always cut my peel ply an inch or two wider than the fabric it covers to help eliminate that issue.

You betcha, ordered and on the way. I told the Aircraft Spruce and Specialty rep that they seem to be the only source of 2 to 6 inch wide peel ply tapes in the US and they replied “Yeah, and we sell a lot of it too”.

50 yards is 150 feet of that 4” peel ply tape, still nearly a lifetime supply; wanna go halfsies on that roll Doug? Sure woulda been helpful with that keel line Dynel sleeve eh?

I guess I owe someone a beverage and a meal. Glenn, next time you stop by how about a Mountain House beef stew and a cold well water refill for your 64oz Klean Kanteen?

Glenn, your next mission, should you choose to accept it, is to find a source for 1 or 2 inch S-glass tape. It does, or did, exist. I had a guy in the shop years ago who worked in the aerospace industry and he brought up a sleeve of a dozen rolls of very fine weave, selvage edged 1” S-glass tape.

“Hey, you want some of these?” he asked.

“Sure, I’ll take a roll” I replied

“Oh, take as many as you like”

I’m an idiot; I took a single roll, and have never found S-glass tape ever again.

I’ve had ISO conversations with a half dozen composite sellers, and best I heard is “Oh, yeah, I remember that stuff from years back”.

Mike, as you likely know, there are many sources of E glass tapes. There are also many sources of different tape widths that don't specify whether they are E or S glass. You might try contacting Carolina Narrow Fabrics, which claims to make custom tapes of all sorts of composites but whose website is difficult.

You might try contacting Carolina Narrow Fabrics, which claims to make custom tapes of all sorts of composites but whose website is difficult.

Their website is kinda useless, but it was a fun call.

Spoke with the wonderfully conversational Karen at Carolina Narrow Fabric, who volunteered her direct company e-mail to investigate 1” or 2” S-glass tape. She asks what weight tape I am looking for and etc. Love that Carolina accent from my days in NC.

As we are finishing up Karen mentions “Ok, it’s a $250 minimum order”.

Well dang, that won’t work for my couple-feet-at-a-time needs.

Back to searching. Maybe I should settle for 1” E-glass tape. Any recommendations for selvedge edge 1” E-glass tape?

Glenn, thanks, I have ordered various glass tapes from a few of those suppliers.

I was not specific in my query, and was looking for recommendations from folks who use E-glass tapes about weights or weaves for different applications; ie used under Dynel skid plates for increased impact resistance, patching and repairing small cracks, outfitting tasks on composite hulls.

Keeping in mind the preferred U.S. spelling is selvage

I was feeling particularly British, and hope you harbour no ill will at the flavour of my off colour behaviour.

Mike, have a look at this page, not sure if it's what you are looking for. If it is then maybe we can do a swap for some dynel sleeve.

https://shop.compositescanada.com/#/...0Braids?page=1

Ben, I like the “tight weave” sound of that stuff from Composites Canada.

https://shop.compositescanada.com/#/product/FTA06-1

I can’t tell if it is S-glass, but it looks very similar to the 1” aero-space S-glass I have. This “Get it outa here, will not restock” caution kinda concerns me, in several ways:

Clearance. Sell at better price if required to get the sale. Will not restock.
Fine bundles of fiberglass yarn in a plain weave. Weave produces high strength for the weight. Use with low viscosity resin for adequate wet out.

Should I grab some now, ‘cause it may not last? Or is it old stock on which the sizing has aged out kaput. If it is still good, in terms of epoxy adhesion, I’d be interested in a 1” roll, and maybe a 2” roll, I can always divide it up with Doug D.

I need to order more Dynel sleeve from Sweets. Let’s talk, and maybe we can do some swap that doesn’t involve international shipping.

I really like fiberglass tape and use it often on the keel line of canoes. On the stems l like a piece of 3 inch and then a piece of 2 inch over it.

I really like fiberglass tape and use it often on the keel line of canoes. On the stems l like a piece of 3 inch and then a piece of 2 inch over it.

In a regrettable experiment we repaired bottom damage on a couple of composite sea kayaks variously using E-glass, S-glass and Dynel. Those kayaks see near constant abuse from the big three of Everglades abraders – limestone, oyster bars and worm rock – during the winter season.

A regrettable experiment because in a single season’s abuse both the E-glass and S-glass were trashed, and the Dynel still sound.

We used cut Dynel fabric (5oz 660 denier plain weave) for those kayaks, and have since been using Dynel sleeve where narrow strips are applicable, with the advantage of clean unfrayed sides and ease of installation.

The Dynel sleeve from Sweet Composites comes only in 1 ½” (Light) and 1 ¾” (Standard) “weights”, both are the same thickness material. A buck a yard, one scissor cut to length and done, no edge frays; that stuff, coupled with 4” peel ply tape makes epoxying Dynel strips as easy as can be.

If I could find 3 or 4 inch Dynel sleeve or similar width selvage edge Dynel tape I’d order some tomorrow. The abrasion resistance of Dynel beats the heck out of fiberglass.

Glenn knows the Scotsman in me too well. Glenn is right again. I hate it when that happens.

At $215 + shipping that 3” wide x 164’ long roll of Dynel is 5X the amount I might use in the next 10 years. I’d need to divvy it up between a half dozen Dynel users. Still, at $1.30 a running foot it might be worth it.

My wider Dynel strip solution may be as simple as laying two 1 ¾” lengths of Dynel sleeve side by side for a 3 ½” wide skid plate, and then laying a single run of Dynel sleeve down the middle. All Dynel, four layers of sleeve at most-worn center, and I know that Dynel sleeve roller compresses to 1/16” thick under peel ply.

I need to put another skid plate on something soon.

Back