• Happy Midnight Ride of Paul Revere (1775)! ⛪🕯️🕛🏇🏼

Decked Canoe Paddle & Compare?

The issue isn't the old or current USCA racing specs for hulls. The issue is what, as a practical matter, differentiates "canoeing" from "kayaking". There are only three possibilities.

1. The hull shape. One can easily differentiate the classic Canadian open "canoe" from the classic Greenland "kayak" by eye, as nouns. But that doesn't answer the question of what "canoe" and "kayak" mean as verbs, because paddlers can and do use the very same hull for whitewater, pack, and expedition canoeing and kayaking. In addition, as nouns, what is called a "kayak" in North America is called a "canoe" in much of Europe.

2. The paddling posture -- sitting or kneeling. This can't be the differentiating factor between canoeing and kayaking because canoeists both sit and kneel. When the identical hull is used for both canoeing and kayaking, it's true that the canoeist usually chooses to elevate the seat further off the bottom than the kayaker -- but that's mainly to facilitate leverage for the single blade technique.

3. The paddle type and technique -- single or double blade. This is the only remaining practical differentiation between canoeing and kayaking and hence the one that makes the most common sense, even though most people may not use the verbs "canoe" and "kayak" that way.

This clearly correct conclusion was for years posted in the FAQ on the United States Canoe Association website, as follows:

"Am I paddling a canoe or a kayak?

"The right questions are: Are you canoeing or kayaking? How many blades does your paddle have?
Canoeing uses a single-bladed paddle. Kayaking uses a double-bladed paddle."

That is the right the analysis, as is easily seen from a linguistic analysis of other means/techniques of propelling a hull, whether that hull looks noun-wise like a Canadian open canoe, a Greenland kayak, a raft, a SUP, a punt, a pirogue, or a batteau.

If you are using a single blade for propulsion, you are canoeing . . . no matter the hull or seat.

If you are using a double blade, you are kayaking . . . no matter the hull or seat.

If you are using a pole to push off the bottom, you are poling . . . no matter the hull or seat.

If you are using a sail, you are sailing . . . no matter the hull or seat.

If you are pulling the canoe by the nose while wading, you are dragging . . . no matter the hull or seat.

If you are using ropes from shore go downstream, you are tracking . . . no matter the hull or seat.

If you are using ropes from shore to go upstream, you are lining . . . no matter the hull or seat.

If you are using oars in oarlocks, you are rowing . . . no matter the hull or seat.

If you are using an outboard motor, you are motor boating . . . no matter the hull or seat.

If you are propelling the hull by scooping and pulling the water with your hands, you are swimming . . . no matter the hull or seat.

If you are carrying the craft on your shoulders, you are portaging or carrying . . . no matter the hull or seat.

Hence, the method and technique of propulsion is the best definition of what you are doing in a paddle-able watercraft.

Now if any of you boys or girls wants to jump in any hull -- call it noun-wise a canoe, a kayak, a SOT, a SUP, a raft, a coracle, a pirogue, a bateau, a john boat, a scanoe, a whatever -- you can use any or all of these methods of propulsion you want. To your heart's desire. Ad libitum. Ad infinitum. But you are only CANOEING the bloody thing when you are using a SINGLE BLADE.

That's not a value or moral judgment. It's simply a rational use of proper verbal terminology.

It should be noted that Glenn's comments seem to mostly address the verbs to canoe or to kayak and I generally agree with the comments, but not without reservations.

The verbs can be called into some doubt if you apply the definition universally to just any hull type. I don't think I canoed my 30' sailboat when I used a single blade to move it a few yards into a slip and I don't think the stand up paddle board guys are canoeing even though they are using a single blade paddle. Maybe I am wrong, but I can't get my mind to wrap around calling that canoeing. So I think that to some minimum extent I have to have a somewhat canoe like hull before I can call it canoeing, but maybe that is just me. Those are extreme examples, but my point is that the hull type does matter. You have to draw a line somewhere.

Things can get more messy when you get to the nouns. The little canoes that are intended to be paddled with a double bladed paddles... I guess they are canoes designed to be kayaked? Or are they kayaks? Or does it depend on what paddle you are using at the time?

In the whitewater hard decked boat community for any hard shell decked boat where you are seated with your legs stretched out in front of you I don't think anyone would call it a canoe. If we include open boats with spray decks that may well not be the case.

There are different disciplines and different communities within the larger paddling community that have different traditions, opinions, and terminology. Some of these have long and well established histories. I am inclined to just not try to find any universal rules or terminology that applies across the various sub-communities.

The verb definition Glenn points to comes about as close as I think you can get, but I really don't think you can say that someone who is paddling a Wee Lassie with a double bladed paddle that they are not canoeing if they say they are.

Last edited:
Thanks for illustrating the minutiae of Covid cabin fever. It's going to be a long winter, for some.

Thanks for illustrating the minutiae of Covid cabin fever. It's going to be a long winter, for some.

:D:D

If boat designers don't agree around the campfire neither are we. Wondering what single sticking a kayak is called. Hunting... or this Inuit typically used a short piece of wood as a single and the King Island kayaking community did so.
King Island kayakers: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Island_(Alaska)#/media/File:KingIslandBoatsUSGSric00644.jpg

this is a little more current..What say ye Pete Staehling
https://youtu.be/rkUAdBf3VdY

I paddle all of my canoes with single and double blades. I paddle all my kayaks with single and double blades except the Greenland rolling boat (but I roll that with half a paddle - so is that single blade?). Personally, I like the British definitions, where any kayak or canoe is defined as either an open or decked canoe. And yeah, full decks like the Kruger's count as decked. Definitions of canoe and kayak don't end up meaning much. Just go paddle.

this is a little more current..What say ye Pete Staehling
https://youtu.be/rkUAdBf3VdY

Yeah, I've seen that happen with lost/broken paddles on trips. I especially remember one of my buddies struggling down the Blackwater in WV with a stupidly short single blade that one of the other guys carried as a spare and loaned him. It was real short because he carried it inside a small boat. I don't think we worried what to call it :) It looks like they called it kayaking with a single bladed paddle in your link. Especially since the boat is a kayak and the guy considers himself a kayaker I can live with that.

I ran the same river as my buddy struggled down once with a borrowed single blade but I was already using a single bladed paddle when I broke mine and the pieces sunk.

Back