• Happy National Nurses Day! 🛌👩‍⚕💉💊🎉

Cracks in Paint

Reaction score
So I bought a WC canoe yesterday.

15ft long

It is bright yellow so I have named her "Little Miss Sunshine"!

More details to follow but there area few cracks in the paint. Is there a way to temporarily seal these without causing longer term grief? I would like to paddle it rather than commence a restoration project. I am also looking for a new cane seat as the one fitted seems large enough for a hippo's butt!

Is there a website I could look at where all the information a sad middle aged canoeist who has bought the paddler's equivalent of a flashy sports car (without the young blonde!) can find about owning a depreciating asset!

Thanks

Chris

WCHA.org (Wooden Canoe Heritage Association) is the best place I know of for wc canoe info. You can sign up to their forum and ask questions without joining the organization.
You should also sign up for Canoeguys blog, he has some interesting posts about w/c canoes and their repair.
https://canoeguybc.wordpress.com/

If you know the make of canoe you should try to stick with the original seat type.

You can make your own cain seat, google "Chestnut Seats". Chestnut used woven cain, not pressed cain, and they last a lot longer. It's harder to weave cain vs. pressed cain, but it makes a better seat.

What make and model 15' canoe? 15' is a good size wc canoe, I use a 15' Chestnut Chum now, just right for my trips.

Finally, my condolences, life will never be the same, folks will shake their heads and make disparaging remarks, kids will laugh, "my Grandfather had one of those" will be a never ending greeting.. but you will love the look, feel and sound of your wood canvas canoe.

Last edited:
Thanks Robin

I just don't have time to make a seat. Too busy sewing gear, making fireboxes and paddling or snowshoeing oh and my wife keeps saying something about a kitchen...

I'm still trying to track down the background on this canoe's history. It was refurbed a few years ago in Winnipeg.

If you don't mind webbing seats go see Wilderness Supply on Ferry St. I know of a yellow Chestnut that sold a couple years ago but it was a 14 foot if I remember correctly. I sure hope you didn't get that Tremblay that has been for sale a couple of years... it was way overpriced at the original $3000 and even when it dropped to $2000. A restored Tremblay might be worth $1200 if in pristine condition, they sold originally for $600.

If you want to bring it out by the house sometime, maybe we can help with it. If you picked it up from Kijiji it is most likely a Bastien Bros Huron. Does it have custom kneeling thwart? If so, that is the design Doug Ingram (Red River Paddle and Canoe) uses so he may have done the resto on it a few years ago. He is down in Lorette and might remember the boat.

There is a town wide garage sale this weekend and we plan to have two boats on the lawn, in case some rich person is out shopping in Warren, lol.

Last edited:
Ohhhhh I was lusting over a nice yellow 15 foot Huron on kijiji the past few weeks. Nice paddling boats, we had one and it was awesome. They are not particularly well made boats, but they have an excellent hull design. I have the remains of a 14 footer that I want to start on soon.

Come check out the fleet some time. We can talk. I may need some sewing done.

Christy

Back