• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Cheap alternative to Blue Barrels

I don't know how much a plastic barrel costs but I've been using a Seal line pack with a plastic trash can inside for a rigid waterproof pack. It's pretty cheap, especially if you already have the pack. The trash can can't be more than 10 bucks. I had to trim mine down to the proper height to make it fit.

Attachments

• photo5309.jpg
    photo5309.jpg
    282.9 KB · Views: 0
Some people seem to be made out of money with $3500 boats and blue barrels with $250 carriers. They have $200 paddles. God bless em.
Duluth number 3s and 4s used to be pretty cheap. I have had plenty of canoes but have never spent $1000 on one. Barrels are good for food but hard to carry. I like the Duluth kitchen pack and hang it. For long trips we just put extra food in a duffel bag with plastic liners.

The predecessor of the blue barrel and it's kin was the olive barrel AFAIK. Green or yellow plastic barrels holding olives for shipment. I still see smaller squarish ones on the bottom shelves of some grocery aisles. They appear to have screw top lids but I can't be sure without buying one. I've been tempted and told my wife so, but she questioned the shelf life of so many olives. But I like them. I really like them. And I love olives.
Like anything in life quality costs cash. But there are ways around that sometimes. Olive barrels and pickle pails are examples, as are DIY wannigans and 2nd hand canvas packs. I've had fewer issues stashing my barrel (none) than hanging my bag (few). But that can change on any trip at any given moment. With the various gear options I've got I'm unsure what my food containment decision will be on the next trip. Maybe I'll go olive picking.

Last edited:
Made a chair out an old Wooden Olive Barrel for a friend of mine who bought it back in the early '60s.

ppine Shamelessly Guilty as charged, although I never paid $200 for a paddle, I do have a $150 dollar pair of pants that I wouldn't trade in. I'm retired and every year I upgrade several pieces of my kit. My grandkids benefit from my excess.

Last edited:
Lowangle Al if you're smart barrels can be extremely cheap, I've gotten several direct from the shippers for under $5, the most I've ever paid is $20, and I got a padded, internal frame style harness years ago for about $40. there are lots of cottage makers out there producing good stuff for cheap, you just need to find them. Many outfitters "have a guy" that makes and repairs their harnesses. if worse comes to worse, strip the straps from an old frame pack and use bolts with rubber washers to attach to the barrels, I've made many like that for scout troops

The predecessor of the blue barrel and it's kin was the olive barrel AFAIK. Green or yellow plastic barrels holding olives for shipment. I still see smaller squarish ones on the bottom shelves of some grocery aisles. They appear to have screw top lids but I can't be sure without buying one. I've been tempted and told my wife so, but she questioned the shelf life of so many olives. But I like them. I really like them. And I love olives.

I think I saw that same jar, lol. I wanted it bad but thought eating all those olive would put me in CHF. So much sodium:)

Back