• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Chaga?!

I've never been much of a forager besides seasonal berries along the trails, but next trip I'll look out for chaga.
Currently I'm browsing (no pun intended) a site for information on wild edibles in my own backyard and beyond.
https://www.ediblewildfood.com/geographic-regions.aspx
Over the years I have evolved my "gardening" interests to include native species (aka weeds) for several reasons. All that aside I'm only now considering the benefits of foraging in my own backyard. Who would've thought instead of pulling in pain I should be plucking for pleasure all the Motherwort, Garlic Mustard and Peppergrass? However I can't bring myself to harvest young milkweed flowers, they smell too sweet and attract so many pollinators and hummers to the yard.

Last edited:
Interesting stuff here ... I have know it as tinder fungus. I never knew it had medicinal properties, have only known it to catch and hold a spark very well for fire starting. Great thread!

Bob.

Bob - Watch out who you share that information with in regard to chaga being a great fire starter! In all seriousness, I was raked over the coals by a local herbalist when I shared that information with a group of people. She ripped me a new one while explaining I was essentially desecrating the fungus. When I tried to explain it's long time use as a fire starter she would have none of it. I was destroying it; nothing less! Needless to say, I no longer brought her in for programming at our outdoor center.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

WOW! I lose more chaga harvesting it off the tree at times than I use building fires.

Back