• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

car topping techniques

Reaction score
Hey all. So I have experimented with different techniques for car topping my tandem and solo. You may balk at some of them, but these have worked for me so far. I'm open to suggestions, however!

From the rear of the car, I place a cheap heavy duty moving blanket I got from Lowes for about $20. I set it on the back of the car by putting one corner each into the car doors. I slide the canoe (on cushy grass, mind you) onto the blanket and then flip it over so the hull is facing up. Then I just slide it on the rack and tie it down per usual.

I have heard of others setting the canoe deck on car doors gently and then lifting the bow or stern from the opposite end.
Car topping straight from the yoke to the rack is doable with my solo, but I'm never quite sure what to do with my neck. A tad awkward for me. The tandem is totally different.

I do have a trailer hitch with a T bar. It can be tricky to use as it slides from side to side at times.

Back when I had a kayak, I side loaded the heavy craft onto the car with a similar blanket, then flipped it around. I'm wondering if I should go back to this technique or if there is an even better way to go about it.

Last edited:
I see a few major problems with your technique, for one you aren't putting the load on the strongest points, roof racks are designed to put the weight on the structure of the roof, that blanket is actually putting your gunwales on the weak panels between those points, which can lead to dents or creasing, destroying the roof's integrity.
Also, if you get the slightest bit of sand or grit on that blanket, there goes the paint, causing rust and again weakening the roof.

You're using the blanket just to get the canoe up onto the racks, as a kind of intermediary step between shoulders and rack, correct? Here's a suggestion, how about fastening a bar between rack bars along one side? This would permit you to stand perpendicular to the car, then walk up to the vehicle with canoe on shoulders, tip the leading stem up onto this bar, then walk/slide the canoe diagonally up onto the racks.
The roof racks are far closer and easier to reach standing at the side of the vehicle than from the front or rear. Use that to your advantage. Looking down from a bird's eye view your rack placement would look roughly like this: |_|

Cars are harder for me to load than trucks. A pivoting t bar is a nice option but I dont have a hitch to put it in. I mostly just walk up alongside the car and lean over to place the boat on the racks. Yes it is a bit awkward but I figure if an old lady like me can muscle it on the pretty much anyone should be able to..
My truck is a lot easier to use and I dont really care if the roof gets dented or scratched.

I once used a rolled up carpet on the cab of the little toyota truck and a pallet stood up at the tailgate to bring a prize home. I like the moving blanket idea.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    361.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0630.JPG
    IMG_0630.JPG
    272.4 KB · Views: 3
Back