• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Canoes get hurt what to do A Blog from White Rose Canoe

Reaction score
What to consider doing or not doing .. Just dropping this here for thought

Right after I finished my wood stripper, wife and I went camping with it. We took care not to scratch the bottom of it..... Humph right. Oh well I thought no big deal, just a couple of fine scratches that I got on the sandy beaching area. Then 3 months later, when the air compressor blew up, while sitting outside the closed basement door, it blew the twin air cylinder through the door window and in struck my gunwale and landed in the canoe. My wife cried when she saw the busted gunwale and compressor oil all over it. What's the odds? But it has been all repaired. Like when most of kids get cut and need stitches, like when I shish kabobed my arm with flaming gasoline, or when I fell off the slide and broke my wrist, yes I was a stupid kid, all the battle scars make good stories. And gives a person character.
Roy

They don't get hurt and they don't need first aid.
They get busted up alright but that is part of the game.

What to consider doing or not doing .. Just dropping this here for thought
Thanks for pulling it in - I"m looking forward to getting input and comments.

A good primer on canoe damage and how it occurs. However the reference to “poly” canoes at the end is confusing:

“Poly refers to Royalex, T-formex, SP3 and similar manufactured materials. These are laminates, usually with an outer abrasion layer, a foam core and an inner layer”

I don’t think of Royalex or T-formex as being “poly” canoes. Nova Craft’s SP3 is three layer polyethylene, Mad River’s polyethylene canoes were a single solid later of poly and their “Triple Tough” was a foam core sandwiched between polyethylene skins.

All of those “poly” canoes were 15 – 20% heavier than Royalex, usually harder to damage but also more difficult to repair. An SP3 Prospector is speced at 90lbs.

I never thought of Royalex canoes, vinyl skin sandwiching ABS plastic and a foam core, as being “poly” canoes, although the Royalex outer skins were polyvinyl. T-formex is still a foam core sandwiched with ABS, not sure what material is used for the outer skins.

True, fixing a royalex canoe is not very problematic. Fixing a tear through in a poly canoe....no fun and very difficult.

Back