Canoes and guns...

Reaction score
I gotta ask, and don't say chicken. What kind of squirrels are you shooting, and what do they taste like. I tried to eat one of the little red squirrels we have up here, and it tasted like a dog's arse.

Gray squirrels and fox squirrels are pretty good IMO. I never heard of anyone eating red squirrels. It is hard to describe the flavor. They don't taste like chicken. They are a bit more gamey than rabbit.

Reaction score
Grey squirrels taste a lot like turkey dark meat. They are my favorite game meat

Reaction score
Up here you are not slowed to hunt squirrels, unless you own a trap line and then you can shoot or trap them! They are considered fur barrier just like mink, beavers and so on!!

Reaction score
I gotta ask, and don't say chicken. What kind of squirrels are you shooting, and what do they taste like. I tried to eat one of the little red squirrels we have up here, and it tasted like a dog's arse.

that's because up there they're living on pine nuts and spruce cones, so they end up tasting like turpentine, farther south they're eating seeds and nuts, it's the same with bush chickens (grouse)

Reaction score
that's because up there they're living on pine nuts and spruce cones, so they end up tasting like turpentine, farther south they're eating seeds and nuts, it's the same with bush chickens (grouse)
What an animal eats does affect the taste. Where I grew up and lived the deer tasted remarkably different depending on which side of the state they came from. A deer that was fed up on corn, hay crops, and soy beans tastes a lot different than one who lived on acorns and other forest foraging. I don't imagine squirrels are any different in that respect.

Reaction score
Interesting, we don't have any f those big fellas up here yet, but who knows, southern species are moving up here at an unusually fast rate. If they do indeed taste like dark turkey meat, I will have to stock up on .22 ammo.